Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 04:58:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

If BM moves away could we...

Started by Crockpot, May 04, 2008, 10:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crockpot

This is a hypothetical question, but one that may be in our horizon.  

DH has parenting time EOW and overnight Thursdays.  Until a year ago BM was living too far way for a midweek overnight.  But since she and kids moved near us we added it to the CO and we're good to go.  

BM has been threatening to move back to where they were a year ago.  We tried to get her to agree to a clause in the CO that BM and BD had to agree if kids were to move out of current school district.  She didn't want it.  Not surprised.

OK, so if she does move far enough away that the mid week visits become undoable would it be fair for us to request every weekend to make up the time DH is missing with his kids?  She would never agree to it so we'd end up doing this in court.  

olanna

I find her moving around so much to be unstable.  If she were moving around in rentals in the same town, that's one thing. But back and forth, changing schools, how will the children find those lifetime bonds that are so important for growing kids?

I personally would address her moving so much and it's harm to the children. Forget what you think is fair in terms of your own rights.  Courts are not going feel that.

Crockpot

With all the moving she's done over the last year the oldest has only changed schools once (youngest just started school this year).  They moved school districts in March 07.  Since then they've lived in 3-4 different places but all within the same school district.  Considering they've stayed in the same school since the first move we didn't think a judge would think much of it.  

What I'd like an opinion on is if she moves to where the mid-week overnight becomes hard on the kids, would the courts possibly award additional weekends to make up for the missed midweek time?  

We could also address the school district changes at that time, but I susupect it's not going to go very far.

Thanks.

BecauseIJustDid

I think you would be wise to ask for every weekend.  The mediator asked for my DH to get every weekend and it's not happening only because BM refuses.