Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Christmas

Started by tulip, Dec 01, 2003, 08:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKx2

The CP receiving CS must claim it as income and file quarterly returns on CS ...

Can we say "double-taxation"?  Something about a tea party connection here ...

But ... 40% custody and not paying CS - it DOES sound attractive ... and you also would have Provincial Health Care!  I don't know about the other provinces, but I received the finest of medical care when I lived in British Columbia, and it was DIRT cheap!

And don't forget when you buy things there is Federal Tax, Provincial Tax and GST (Goods and Services Tax) ... which can add up to a pretty heft amount.

Still ... we can dream, can't we? :D

sweetnsad

I think I have to disagree only on the point you made about the CP having to claim the support she receives...She doesn't have to, we checked it out...BM received $15,000 from my SO last year and didn't have to claim a CENT of it...
Doesn't seem fair does it???
Our health care is good though....

MKx2

who has to file quarterly returns and pay tax on the CS ... now she works as well, so that may be the difference.  I don't know.  All I know is she files like clockwork as that is the law.

I can't imagine ANYone filing CS as income unless it was required, can you?

tulip

I wish they had laws like that in the US. (Not the double tax part, though.) But I think that whoever is receiving the money should pay tax on it, not the one handing it over. And the worst part of this backward tax is this: in my state, the legislature is trying to pass a law that holds cp's accountable for how they spend money received as cs. It's not going through because people are aguing that ncp's don't have to account for how they spend their money. Well, I think that's bull because they pay tax on the money they earn and pay a percentage of it to support their kids, and they shouldn't have to account for the small portion that isn't for the kids. I used to work at a company that had cs included in their cafeteria plan (pretaxed money taken out of paychecks that the employee doesn't pay income tax on.) I told my dh to ask his compay about that, because he has that plan for medical and childcare expenses, but was told that it's illegal to put cs into that plan because it has to be taxed.

MKx2

is that if there are raging issues between NCP and CP, the courts will oder CS to be put into a trust account by NCP and CP must provide all receipts of expenses for children, above and beyond a roof, food, and a clothing allowance (set by the court) in order to receive any monies above the amount set for "extras."  Things like sports registration, music lessons, school pics, etc.  Those extras are paid to NCP at 50%.  I can't remember what happens to any "left overs" in the account should receipts not be provided for the full amount deposited each month.  The costs of  administering this is born equally by NCP and CP.

sweetnsad

No, of course not....she's not going to claim it if she doesn't have to...One thing she isn't is stupid...
It's too bad my SO can't use it to his advantage either...not allowed to claim it on his taxes AT ALL...that doesn't seem fair..
also, the fact that CS is based on GROSS income is a joke...
Just my opinion though...

Brent

> It's too bad my SO can't use it to his advantage either...not
> allowed to claim it on his taxes AT ALL...that doesn't seem fair..

It's too late for this to do much good this year, but next year, this might be something for your SO to consider:

Preventing Unfair Seizure Of Tax Refunds
http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/refund.htm

They can't steal/intercept his refund if there's no refund coming back. :)

sweetnsad

Ahh, very good....I'll keep that in mind..thanks..:-)

Indigo Mom

And especially love the ones they don't realize are brain food.

My son turned 8 last month and LOVES knex.  He makes all these wild and crazy things, then turns it on and gets SO proud of his mechanical "creations".

I got the Iguanadon set for free at a garage sale.  (bitch...bribed me with all sorts of free shit just to get me to take this kitten...lol)

I'm about to learn just how expensive the sets are, as lil dude is getting some more for Christmas.  I have my eye on this HUGE ferris wheel...and I'm certain it's going to cost quite a bit.

BUT....the educational value is up there!!!!  Also, lincoln logs are awesome, too.  Yes, I love the old toys I had growing up.

http://www.knex.com/customer/home.php  

Just found this website and about crapped the ol drawers.  Quite expensive.  Click on "tubs & cases" and there's bunches of sets your lil dude might enjoy.  (i urge you to find a mechanical set so he can enjoy like my son does)

oklahoma

I agree with you.  NCP's are the exception to the rule, it seems, for everything.  Not only do they have to hand over money that they have already been taxed on, they have to do it whether they want to or not, or any number of consequences.  If you want to argue that CP's should not have to account for where CS goes, the exact argument should be used as to whether or not CS should be ordered at all!  It seems that what is "good for the goose" ain't "good for the gander."  Just another problem with the whole issue of child support.

(In our case, my husband is ordered to pay just over $5000/year.  So BM takes most of that amount to haul him into court with false allegations, and manages to keep him from seeing his children for over a year.  But of course, he still has to keep paying CS, so she can keep paying her attorney.)