Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 08:43:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I've decided to get my life in order....

Started by DMcD, May 30, 2004, 08:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcD

I'm happy. Happier than I've been in almost a year. The only thing that makes my life less than perfect is knowing my potential and not living up to it. My friend is a year older than I am and he got his Masters last month - in physics, no less. He begins his doctorial program in the fall. We took the ASVAB (military aptitude testing) about the same time. The highest possible score on that test is 99. He got a 97. It was good, but mine was better. I got a 98. If I tested higher than a guy who holds a master's degree in physics, I know I can accomplish just about anything I want to. It's my own hang ups that keep me from doing it. I have made the commitment to myself and my family that I'm going to get my degree. My kids deserve a college educated parent. They deserve to go to college if they want to. They can't do that if I can't earn a living wage because I have a GED and some secretarial skills.

What I need is a swift kick in the butt if I start faltering. DH and my friends will do that, I hope. You guys here will do it, too. Support and ass kickings are all I need LOL.

wendl

D-
I am the same way in many ways, it's not easy but with the support of your family and us you will get thru it.

Just do your work, get the grades and look to the future. Don't lool back look forward.

From everything you have ever said here, you are a strong person, have goals dream, if you can deal with pbfh you can do anything!!!!!!

And when you feel overwelmed (sp) with school, come vent to us

((((hugs))))

DMcD

Well, I'm OFFICIALLY a college student. I'm enrolled for 6 units this summer session and 15 in the Fall. I start on the 28th. This is it. DH is behind me 100%. So is my boss. He told me to get my butt back to school just after I enrolled! Man, this is it. I'm doing it. I have a plan and goals and I'm doing it!

Thanks everyone, for your support and encouragement. Hopefully all this will really end up being a blessing. I wouldn't have thought about a career in law if we hadn't gone through the hell we did with the kids and family court. I'm going to be awful busy being a full time student, full time mom and part time law clerk. But I'm going to have to figure a way to get it all done.

I'm so excited!

lucky

You can do it!  I did and even though I'm not doing anything with my degrees yet, I'm happy I did it.  

Just make sure to make time for yourself (outside of studying), time for you and dh and time for you and family.  You will probably have to sit down with a daily planner and SCHEDULE that time -- I did.  For the first semester I didn't do that and dh and the kids NEVER saw me, I was always working or studying.

Good luck!
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

DMcD

I'm a scheduler (if that's even a word) at heart. When the skids were up here and they had all their medical, dental and vision appointments and they didn't have set days and times for counseling, I had a pocket planner that was filled to the brim with appointments and all. Hopefully, I will be able to manage my time well enough to see to it that I have all the time I need.

Summer classes are M-Th from 8 to 12:15. I'll have the rest of the day to study and spend time with the family. In the Fall, I go to school all day Tuesday and Thursday. Wednesday is going to be spent doing homework that is due the following Thursday, but from Friday on, I can pace myself with the remaining homework and have Friday through Monday with the family. I think it will work well. My boss is very supportive and he is also very flexible. I think I have everything worked out. If not, I'll get it worked out. I know what I want and darn it, I'm going to get it!