Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:09:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Medical records request...

Started by TypoQueen, Jun 29, 2004, 01:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TypoQueen

I wasn't sure if this was the right board to post this question on, but I hope some of you may have experience with this issue...

My H has requested my SD's medical records for the last year.  The Dr.'s office received the request last week.  (He formatted the letter based off the one on this site.)  Anyway, we haven't heard a thing.  I realize it's only been a week, but here's the question....How long does the Dr.'s office have to provide the records?  I have read 10 days all the way to 90 days.  We're so confused!  This is in TX, if that matters.  Thanks for any/all help!

Kitty C.

I've worked in medical records for many years.  Getting records copied on request can take some time.  Depending on the size of the practice and how many requests they are dealing with at any given time, it can take anywhere from 2 weeks on.  Some requests have a higher priority than others, as well.  Records requested from attys. or the courts take highest priority, of course.  Ins. companies for QA review is up there, too.  Personal requests for FYI only are usually at the bottom.

Give it another week and then call ans ask if they've received the request and what the status is.  If they give you a line of BS, inform them that your DH does have joint legal, allowing him to have access to his daughter's records.  If they need a copy of the order, then furnish it.  But if they still continue to give you flack, tell the office manager (NOT the doctor) that your atty. will be in touch. The LAST thing the office manager wants to do is to inform the doctor that someone is threatening legal action.  And doctors HATE dealing with legal stuff, gun-shy from malpractice suits or threats.  They will be more likely to do an about face then!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

TypoQueen

Thanks Kitty!  He sent a copy of the Decree with the letter, and he sent it registered w/ RR.  By sending everything at once, we were hoping to speed it up.  Hopefully, you're right.  But, we'll wait a couple weeks and see what materializes.  At what point do you think it's appropriate to get an atty involved?  We were thinking a month or so is plenty of time.  Oh, and one more thing, what happens if they send us partial records..can they (the Dr.) get in trouble for that?

Thanks!

Kitty C.

If they send partial, send another letter telling them you're still waiting for the rest.  If they refuse, threaten court and back it up.  If they refuse outright, that's when you get the atty. involved.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......