Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 03:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Revese adoption allowed ?

Started by mango, Jul 12, 2004, 02:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mango

I have a question for a co-worker. He said a few years ago he made the mistake he will regret forever. His ex got re-married and his Biological daughter (age 9 or 10 then) wanted to be part of the family of her mothers new husband so bad that she asked her dad if he would let them adopt her so she could "share" the same last name and fit-in better.

The father gave it some thought, and spoke with the mother in depth and they agreed that it would not change the father daughter relationship, it was only a formality for the daughter to feel part of her new family.

The father agreed, and signed adoption papers. Two weeks after the mother refused to allow the daughter and father to visit together, nor speak on the phone. Mother then twisted the story and told bio-daughter the father didn't want her and gave up on her. (PAS)

Anyone know if ....
1- Does the biological father have any rights at all?
2- Can the daughter choose to see him (on her own will) as she grows older?. If so at what age would that be? (she is 13 now.)
3- Can the bio-father reverse his decision for the adoption?
4- Is there anything he can do to see her?

jilly

He screwed himself out of a relationship with his daughter.  I bet if he reads the paperwork he signed agreeing to the adoption he will notice that he has given up all rights to his daughter. I can't imagine what would possess someone to do something like that. He should have known better than to believe that this action wouldn't affect the father-daughter relationship. I'm not aware of anything that will "undo" what he did. As for the daughter choosing to see him she will probably have to be an adult before that happens. Sounds to me like the mother wouldn't allow her to see her biological father if she wanted to.

purrrfectgirl

Jilly's right.  There's no way to "un-do" adoption.  If he had wanted daughter to fit in he should have simply applied for a name change and changed the girl's last name to new husband's but remained father.  That's what I did with my daughter.  The daughter if free to visit whenever she chooses and mom lets her.  Once daughter gets driver's license she can transport herself there.  But until that time, if mom won't let him pick the girl up or won't drop her off at dad's there's nothing he can do about it.  Signing the adoption papers signed away all rights and responsibilities.  There's nothing he can do now to change it.