Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 07:19:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Name Change

Started by chipmunk226, Jul 19, 2004, 06:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rini

are staggering.

why change the boys name.  

i know that you probably dont want to think about it but now a days over 50% of marraiges end in divorce.  

the probability that you will remarry if your present marraige ends in divorce is another possibility.

my 5 year old knows her first last and middle name.  why would you bother to change a child that already has a memory of that name is a little mind boggling to me but this is just my opinion.

rini

joni

I went to a picnic this weekend.  Talked to a dozen different children, aged 6-12.  Ask them who their best friend was at school and asked them if they knew their best friends last name....only two children did.  

I asked those two children if they knew the last name of their best friend's parents and if their best friend's parents were divorced.  They shrugged their shoulders and said they didn't know.   One kid asked me why I was asking him stupid questions.....

mango

I agree 100%.

The parents need to just remind the child they were given the name at birth, be proud and let it be. If they want to change it later so be it.

Wi-Mom

I also agree with this.

My fiance's ex wife had a child shortly after they divorced. She gave her my fiance's last name which at the time was her married name. Now she's been married and divorced again, and is about to get married for the 3rd time, and her name is all over the place. In the meantime she has a daughter with her maiden name from when she was 16, two children that are my fiance's kids with his last name, and one that is not his child, he hardly even knows her.. with his last name.

His ex wife has taken this child to Dr's with no insurance for her and tried to force my fiance to pay 1/2 the bill. The Dr's office sees that she has his last name and tries to go after him for the money. Thank god that his real children are listed in the divorce, but he has to go through all kinds of crap to prove she's not his every time she does this. The real father doesn't even know he has a kid, and she doesn't want him to because she doesn't want him to have visitation rights. Child support from Fiance has always been divided between her four kids.

People need to really put a lot of thought into what they name their children. Personally, I would give any child born out of wedlock the maiden name of the mother because she can always hyphenate that name, and if she divorces, that is the one name she can always go back to.