Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 08:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Since I am unemployed, I think I will try a new avenue...

Started by 4honor, Jul 12, 2005, 06:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4honor

I am looking into training to become a GAL.

In my state, it takes a training seminar (4 days) and either be a lawyer or have 5 yrs experience with children & families involved in disputes over parenting issues, dissolution or parentage determinations (I got that). Takes a background check and some other "screening" things.

If I can't change the laws in my state (yet) to presume shared parenting for 2 fit parents, then I can do something for individual families.

In my county a GAL is given 30 days to get the report done and the parties are given 60 days before trial to read the report (if everything goes as it is usually ordered.) What do they need a full 30 days for? Families deserve better service than that. They should not be in limbo for that long.

A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

joni

I think the system would be honored to have someone with your life experience working within it.  You could make a world of difference.

flewwellin

I hope you can accomplish this!  The system needs more KNOWING people working for them.  Maybe you'll be able to help some kids.  

wendl

LOL they need 30 days cuz hmmmm no names here but some of them CANNOT type their own reports they need to HIRE someone to do it and charge you extra.  OR they are to dam sick to do the investigation.

We are thinking about doing this here in our new town as well.
Dh was going to go check into it.

4 you would be a great GAL, you have seen both side and have gone thru the BS. A lot of these GAL's haven't had to deal with it on a personal level.  Hell our GAL didn't even have kids.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**