Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 05:21:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

WWYD?

Started by catherine, Nov 23, 2005, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catherine

DH is CP, I am CSM.  

*&/?! Biomom NCP is planning on buying the kids a dog and sending it home with them because we just put down our dog we've had for 8 years.

I am NOT having another dog.  Going dog-free for a few years.

WWYD to not come off as the bad guy and tell the kids no?

Forthelittleones

How do the children get back to your house?

catherine

she lives in another state.

Sunshine1

I would say, your house, your rules.  She has absolutely no business sending that kind of a purchase home to YOUR house for YOU to take care of.

You are still mourning the dog you lost, it is not on her authority when you should be getting a new one.  It is a family decision and I am pretty sure she don't live there.

Now...how to not come off as the bad guy?  Toughie.  I would tell her (if you speak), thank her for the extremely nice gesture, (puppies aren't cheap) but at this time you just aren't ready to get a new dog to replace the other one.  Tellher that you appreciate the "thoughtful" gesture.

Not sure how well you get along with her, (mine I would have to cut my tongue out after if I said something like that to her, and My DH would serioulsy have me evaluated mentally...but that's us.  :)  Anyway, that is as gentle as you can probably approach it, if that doesn't work, you may just have to give the dog to the pound and suffer the realm of the evil stepmother.  Either way its your house and should be your decision no matter what.

Good Luck...keep us posted.

:)

wendl

Well if you can't talk to her and she drops the kids off and brings the dog, then simply state, oh what a nice dog, the kids will enjoy it when they come back to your house and take the kids inside.

If the kids flip out, simply say, it would be nice to keep the dog at moms, this way the dog can keep her company until you kids go see her again.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

Sunshine1

wysiwyg

how about you say "sure I will take the dog if you agree to pay up front for all vaccinations, food and suppies including heartworm prevention and tell her you feed quality food and want money put aside for kenneling (or does she plan onn driving down to get teh dog when you go one vacations and then returing said dog after vacation)  etc etc etc you get teh picture........ Tell her to have her lawyer draw up an aggreement so that there is no question that she will be finaicnally responsibe for her demands that the kids have a dog at your home..... My guess is that she will bow out....... Oh and you can also tell her that if you are getting a dog that you want a Newfoundland or a St Bernard or a Great Dane bouthgt and purchased by one of the well know breeders in some other state found at AKC.org and that the going price is around 1,000 per pup..........  (Can ya tell I have had a stressing day???)

MixedBag

Seriously, my OD was asked by her father to take on a dog and cat of his/theirs when he went overseas.  

She said "Yes.."

And I said "Hey, since they are both "older" did you at least talk to your dad about who pays for the vet bills if they get sick due to old age?"  That was his reason for not taking them -- they're too old to make the trip.

She worked that out with him before they arrived and he understood....

See she had just spent about $500 on her (stupid) cat so she understood where I was coming from and dad did too.

catherine

knowing her, it was just yet another false promise to make her seem like HERO Mom for the moment.  I hope so, anyway!  I did make it very clear to the kids that I want to wait for another dog, and would really prefer to pick one out myself when that time comes.  And that I would not be taking any dog they bring home because we were not ready for one as a family.

catherine