Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 16, 2024, 10:34:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quick Health Insurance Question

Started by Ref, Dec 22, 2005, 11:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ref

I just recently put my husband and my step-daughter on my insurance plan because he lost his job. DH filed for CS modification. BM now is offering to put SD on her insurance as a way to keep DH's CS from goign down too much.

This is great with me because just my SD's insurance is costing me $265/month. If DH's CS doesn't go down, we still make out $265. I don't think BM has to pay for SD to go on her plan.

Does she need to wait until open enrollment to add SD?

I wont drop SD unless I know she has filed for the coverage. Also, BM doesn't work at the same place for long. I am a bit concerned that SD will end up losing her coverage if BM flakes out.

Any Advice?

Thanks
Ref

Sherry1

carry insurance on the child then she has to wait until open enrollment.  An insurance company will not add anyone during a policy year unless there has been a life change, and if she was required to carry SD and had a court order to prove it she won't be able to add her.

MixedBag

I think it's worth BM asking her employer now and not wait until open enrollment.

Why?

If dad lost his job and therefore lost his insurance coverage, I would think that mom's employer would consider this a time outside of open enrollment where Mom could pick up insurance.

There are situations where an employee doesn't have to wait for open enrollment....

Marriage is one for sure.

Divorce is another....

Why not the loss of a job and the loss of coverage from that job?

I'd say the other parent has 30 days from the loss of the other coverage to get new coverage and I'll bet that Dad would have to get a letter of insurability from his old company and provide that to mom for her to add the daughter.

I know that when I retired, we had 30 days to pick up Dh's BC/BS and had no problems and it was outside the open enrollment period.  

Ref

Like I said BM doesn't usually work, so it does make me nervous that SD wont have heath insurance after the usual 6 month honeymoon period is over with BM's new job. Also, DH is required to carry the insurance per theri CS agreement. DH was also let go over 30 days ago.

We also would like to see how it effects the child support calculation. If I am paying 265 and BM will pay the same, I would rather have the CS lowered and pay the insurance.

Thanks for everything!

Ref

Sherry1

until open enrollment unless you have a court document stating you are to cover said child.

MixedBag

Run it through the state's calculator.

What happened to me is that the cost of insurance gets added on top of the CS obligation.  Then DH is attributed his share of that and gets a credit for paying it all (when both parents' incomes are used.)

Say the income ratio is split 60/40 (with dad at 60%)

At their combined level of income, they are obligated to support child with $500/month.  Then you add insurance ($265), for a total of $765.  Dad obligation is 60% of 765, which is $459, but he only pays mom $194 because the other $265 goes to insurance for the child.

Ask your company if and when you can pick up SD -- like if Mom loses coverage can you pick her up outside of open enrollment?

Ref

We just got a copy of a communication PBFH's attorney sent to DH's attorney. In it it states that BM has already put SD on her insurance plan and DH has to pay her back.

DH told BM that he was on COBRA and if he was going to lose it, he would put SD on my plan. I guess BM hated the idea of me being involved at all and put her on her plan. She didn't even contact DH first. She said she received a letter from DH's insurance saying that the policy would end. DH received the same letter and it was AFTER he told BM that he was continuing

Now SD has 2 insurances, her mom's and mine. Mine is costing me a lot. I would love to drop SD but DH is still legally responsible to carry the insurance per their agreement. I am afraid that if I drop her, he will get in trouble.

I was pissed but she is the stupid one. She's paying extra for SD to be on her plan. We are paying more, but it is what we would have paid anyway.

Thought I would keep you updated. Thanks for the advice!

Ref

lucky

LOLOL!!!  Dh HAS to pay HER back???  I doubt it since HE IS providing coverage for sd under YOUR plan.

Let her pay the premiums, and let her take you guys back to court if she wants the money.  He's not court ordered to reimburse her, he's court ordered to carry insurance himself -- even if that means his wife carries it.  If you guys drop the insurance on sd, SHE can get your dh for contempt and it'll cost a lot more.

Dh is also court ordered to cover yss if coverage is available through a group plan.  For many years, I covered yss through my insurance because dh has never had coverage available.  In fact, the child support office told me that if my plan allowed me to cover yss then technically coverage WAS available to dh and he was required to obtain it or be in contempt.  It's not an issue any longer because my plan doesn't allow me to cover skids unless they live with me.

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

Ref

BM just sent DH a letter. In it she stated that she told him that she would be putting SD on her plan. SHE IS SUCH A LIAR!!! Why would we be spending a couple hundred dollars a month for nothing???

She was pissed because DH sent the last notice of visitation by certified mail. What else can he do? She refused that so he sent it to her lawyer. After he had not heard for a while he recorded a message on BM's machine with the info. BM is such a liar, how can he trust that she wont lie and say that she never received notice? She said she will only accept regular postal delivery (no FedEx, UPS or certified) or a message on her machine. She gives no reason why. She is just psycho. The topics are limited to visitation and emergencies, otherwise she says DH is harrassing her.

Funny part, during her last conversation with DH, she stated that he was asking to have too many deductions made to his CS such as visitation expense and child care expenses. She said he was "jewing down" the child support. DH immediatly called her a racist. She stammered and studdered and then she said (after about 30 seconds) " I said CHEWED down". I have been on this planet a while now and spoken to a lot of people. I have NEVER heard the term "chewed something down" before in my life. Anyway, she states in her LETTER that he "chewed down" the child support before. I guess trying to convince DH that that is really what she said.

Idiot....

I am really tired of this sh**. Only 3 years left

Ref

MixedBag

well, it has been a while....

But he would write letters as if "because he said so, and now he's written it (when Camilla probably writes everything since there's no signature), it's the truth"

stick to your guns and the advice you've been given

use priority confirmed delivery -- passive on her end, you still get confirmation of delivery, and it's all done from home.