Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 07:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not sure where I should post this...so here goes

Started by aparker1014, May 02, 2006, 10:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aparker1014

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had to send to the other parent copies of tax returns? And if so, what items can you black out that involve the stepparent? Other than SSN and SSN for step parents bio kids?  In DH's court order it states that he is to send to her his W2s and first two pages of his tax returns.  Well the only thing showing on the first two pages of the tax returns, other than SSN and other private info is our combined income and the amount we received as having overpaid.  Why would she need to know our combined income? And how much we got back? Should I black out our combined income since she will see his income from his W2s?  She does not need to know how much I make, and if I do not black that part out, then she will know.  Then I'm afraid she will take him to court for an increase based on our combined income instead of what HE makes, as listed on both of his W2s (he has a full time job and a part time job).

TIA!

Ref

I asked Soc about a similar situation a long time ago. I think the gyst of his response was that if it is irrelevant to the case, you may omit it. Think about if the other side has any legal need for that information. If not, redact it (black it out) and see what comes of it.

In another situation, BM's attorney asked for proof that DH received unemployment. DH sent her a copy of a print out of a deposit statement that he printed off line. The top had the bank balance on it. DH redacted the balance because it was not what she was asking for. She used that as an excuse to demand more docs because he was "hiding something". Now the CS reduction case has been dragging on for 6 months!!! grrrr.

Anyway, I understand how you feel. BM's attorney asked for his return and this is our first year of filing joint. Luckily, I needed an extension so DH doesn't have anything to submit yet, just W-2s.

In a nutshell, I really think you can and if you dont need to have this hearing expedited, I would redact the info that is not relevant. The best place to get good advice on this is probably Soc's page though.

Good Luck
Ref

MixedBag

actually, when you look at the first two pages, there's other lines where DH might be listing income that is used to calculate CS.

For example, INTEREST from savings, self-employment income, stocks and bonds stuff....you get the idea.  

Of course, if he has no income other than his W-2, then fine.

Oh yea, it shows how much alimony he deducts too.

I'd send the W-2 and black out joint information and just write "JOINT" right next to it.  You got the right idea.

And then take it from there.  

I have to exchange copies of tax returns each year as well.  My EX sends his with his children's SSN blacked out.  And we file "married filing separately" to keep everything separate where taxes are concerned so that we're not blacking out the form.

aparker1014

Thanks! The only income he has is his W2s.  No alimony, stocks or bonds or anything.  That's why I said the only thing that it was showing on ours was the combined household income *lol*.  Pretty much everything is blacked out on the tax returns we sent to her (only first two pages is required).

This is the first year we have ever had to do this, so we were not thinking about it when we filed this year.  We have always just filed married filing jointly.  Would there be any difference if we filed next year "married filing seperately"? Would it change the amount we get refunded?

Ref

It can change it dramatically. It is very situational, but you almost always get a lesser refund if you file seperately. Next year, get Turbo Tax and it will show you what you would get if you file joint vs seperate then you can decide.

In my case we are talking several hundred dollars!!!

Good Luck
Ref

aparker1014

DH and I have talked about filing seperately before...but he said that we would only get back about half of what we would if we filed jointly.  I'll have to check into that turbo tax next year! If we are talking several hundred or more then there is no way we should file seperately.  We always are in desperate need of the refund we get back...just to get caught up on bills and what have you, so I can't imagine letting a big chunk of it go just to get out of blacking out our combined info on the tax returns sent to BM.

Thanks!!

smtotwo

several years and have set a wedding date  we are now having serious concerns and questions.

The fathers group in Wisconsin was excited about the state supreme court ruling that both incomes could be used in a SAHM situation-as in her new spouses income could be imputed as hers-  I however see this as a VERY VERY BAD THING.

You all know that somehow this will be turned around and at some point it will be the stepmoms income being imputed to calculate support.

It will be a COLD COLD day in HELL before a penny of my income goes to the psycho path.

IF we do get married everything will be kept separate.

Also consider getting an advanced earned income credit directly applied to your paycheck.  You will get less back on your return but your paychecks will be a little higher.  Mine are between 40 and 50 $$ a week doing this.

Also remember this was a wisconsin state ruling.