Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:20:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ADHD med question...

Started by lucky, Aug 12, 2006, 10:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky

I'm hoping that someone out there has BTDT with this question.

Anyway, we've run the gamut as far as meds go, but this one is a new one for me.

DS's dr. wants to try Tenex.  Currently he is on Strattera and I haven't gotten an answer back as to whether the Tenex with be in combination with the Strattera or will replace the Strattera (should we agree to the Tenex).

Does anyone know anything about Tenex and possible side effects it can cause in children?  DS is very susceptible to tics from the stimulants and some other meds like Risperdal, but I don't know if Tenex has that issue related to it and I can't find anything that answers my questions so far on the web.

Thanks,

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

Sunshine1

Have never tried Tenex, how about Seroquel?  Have you tried that one yet?

We are currently on Seroquel with one child and Adderall RX for the other.  The Adderall does bring out the tics, but I think we are doing great with the Seroquel.

dipper

My ss was off of meds for two years for his ADHD.  BM made that choice.  In April, he was put back on medication - bm never told us this, never sent meds with him.  He was on Adderall.  

His new counselor says he needs the meds, but we will have to take him to a doctor to get a new prescription.  DH talked to bm yesterday to ask if she would meet him so that he could get the meds from her - she refused.  She later said she will start ss on the meds this weekend herself......

Whatever, we are going to get him in to the doctor one day this week for a prescription........

What kind of tics have you seen with Adderall?

Sunshine1

My son was first diagnosed with Torrette's syndrome, and I had always thought he needed to be tested for ADD...not so much ADHD...he just could not concentrate on anything...I hate the words ADHD/ADD with a passion.  It is most CP/mothers way of dealing with their children, and all of a sudden every child in America has it, so I say we are treating the Tic disorder instead.

Since being diagnosed with the tic disorder I see that Adderall brings on "frequent" episodes rather than his every once and a while episodes if that makes sense.  Insteado f him repeatedly blinking his eyes 10 times, he'll do it 30 times....but he is more relaxed on the Adderall so he knows he is doing them and won't try to control them so they happen all at once, instead of throughout the day.

I could treat both, the ADD and the tics but the tics are not getting in the way of things yet and he's not being teased about them so we aren't treating with meds....but 4th grade is around the corner.

lucky

He looked like a chicken walking around the barnyard -- no kidding.

He's had issues with his arms jerking spontaneously (imagine the crap he got when he was sitting with his arms/hands in his lap).  He got a "stiff" leg, he did an odd little hop/skip when he walked.  Head bobbing, nose twitching, weird faces.... Shall I go on?

These were all with the different meds, on Adderall it was only the chicken looking thing -- bad enough in itself, I thought.  And that was the XR version (extended release).

I am honestly totally against the stimulants in particular due to the problems we've had - 5 different versions of them Ritalin, Concerta (Ritalin extended release), Adderall, Adderall XR and Focalin.  Same/similar side effects with all of them even in the lower doses.

Personally, now that you guys have custody, I wouldn't just put him on meds and DO NOT just rely on your family doctor or pediatrician to make an informed choice for your ss, their knowledge is too diversified in my opinion to make a good choice.  

I would get him evaluated by a psychologist who specializes in ADD/ADHD THEN meet with a psychiatrist for the prescription if appropriate.  Also, make sure that you question the psych about what he/she will recommend if there ARE side effects such as tics, etc.  IN ADDITION (or instead of), take him to a therapist who specializes in working with kids/teens with ADD/ADHD so that he can learn how to manage his behavior -- do you want him medicated for the rest of his life?  If he doesn't learn to manage his behavior, how will he get/hold a job, etc. when he's an adult?

Also, I'd send BM a letter telling her no meds till a full eval is done and if she chooses to give ss those meds anyway, you'll file for contempt AGAIN.  That might give her pause.

Good luck.

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

4honor

Tenex (Guanfacine) is a non-stimulant anti-hypertensive usually used in combination with stimulants when used for ADHD. Not recommended for anyone with low blood pressure or liver or kidney problems, as the drug is moderately hard on both.

Most Common Side-Effects: drowsiness, dry mouth, constipation, mild lowering of blood pressure on standing (orthostatic hypotension)

Infrequent Side-Effects: skin problems (skin rash, itching), headache, dizziness, fatigue, insomnia, indigestion, nausea, diarrhea, slow heartbeat

Rare Side-Effects/Risks: amnesia, liver toxicity, edema or leg cramp, "rebound" high blood pressure (if stopped abruptly), sexual problems (decreased libido, impotence)

Hot Climates, exercise and other heat inducing situations can make the medication less effective and cause blood pressure changes.

The medication is not FDA approved for ADHD or for children under 18. Also it has shown no efficacy in the treatment of distractability, though it has some in hyperactivity. (More useful for ADHD than for ADD).

Further, it takes 10-12 weeks to get to therapeutic  levels and MUST be tapered off to avoid rebound high blood pressure.

That's what I found through about 3 of the webMD type sites out there. Sorry if it is nothing more than you already found.

Who manufactures it? you could get their official stuff from their web site for more information.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

lucky

Thank you so much 4H.  I surfed some generic websites, but didn't get it in as complete and succint (sp?) a package as you've given me.

We did decide to forego the Tenex.  One reason being that the nurse for the facility DS is an in-patient at had us "about 6th on her list" to call because she'd found stuff regarding Tenex that concerned her.

Also, she had remembered that we were against meds if at all possible and she'd already told the doctor that she was pretty sure we'd say no.  :)

I love that nurse!  Apparently this fill-in psych is as med-happy as DS's original psych was here at home.  The regular psych is on maternity leave and she was on bed-rest for a while before having the baby.  Hopefully she'll be back to work soon!

[em]Lucky

- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

4honor

was it you guys that did a thorough work up of DS? Has he hit puberty yet? I really have this "feeling" that someone missed something before that is going to show up shortly.

I will keep you and yours in my prayers
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

lucky

We did a thorough workup and he came back with anxiety disorder, depression but primarily ADHD combined.  We specifically asked about bipolar disorder because it runs in the family on dh's side, but were told that at his age, they wouldn't diagnose that even though they couldn't rule it out either.  The Mayo Clinic wouldn't touch BPD either.

I'm hoping the other psych gets back soon, 'cause she's good and is open to other diagnoses.  Unfortunately, (for DS's treatment) pregnancies happen and hers didn't go so well.  

I also want to have him go through a battery of allergy tests, but I ordered a book I found on a website that I want to read first, it is about allergies and behavioral problems.

And he's hitting puberty -- he and his cousin who is a YOUNG 15 were discussing armpit hair, etc. in the car, it was a wonderful conversation to behold! :)  DS isn't [em]quite[/em] there yet, but damn close.   I'm soooo excited.(sarc)

I think your feeling is correct, I think something is missing too.  I just have to find it.  Hopefully, even if we don't get a different diagnosis, when he gets discharged, he'll be able to maintain and we can check into other things.  I'm thinking food and/or environmental allergies may be part of it.  But I gotta read that book about it first!

Thanks for the prayers.  Every little bit helps, if for no other reason than to allow me to remain reasonably sane.

[em]Lucky

- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

4honor

Try "The Hyperactivity Hoax:how to stop drugging your kids and get a real diagnosis" by Sydney Walker III.

It may seem like it is totally against ADHD/ADD diagnoses, but it is about not settling until you find the real culprit. It is not about self-diagnosing your child, but helping you to give your physician enough information to GET TO the root of the problems.

SS has been on ADD medications for years and we have been convinced that he has OTHER problems (i.e., vision, poor parenting/PA-HAP, and most recently bi-polar disorder.) I was looking for some help for myself (talk about self diagnosing) and ran across a site with adolescent bi-polar symptoms. It described SS to a T. I couldn't believe it of course, if we ask for a rule out diagnosis BM will have a cow and feed us Bullsh*t all winter. Maybe if we ask his parole officer to request a review of it things will get done.