Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 16, 2024, 08:03:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

School and Family vacation

Started by Ref, Nov 28, 2006, 09:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ref

My sister is getting married overseas this year. Her date is the 18th of May. SD's last day of school is May 24th. SD has been ungrateful and rude, but I still hate to think she wouldn't be able to go to Europe on a family trip because she is a bratty teen. I really think she needs to understand what family is more.

DH legally only has SD for summer 2 weeks after school lets out, so this is outside his parenting time and SD would have to miss the last week of school. Her grades are crappy right now too.

I am leaning towards telling her we will have to vacation another time together and she will have to miss my sister's wedding. Part of me says that we offer her an incentive. If she gets her grades up by a certain time, we will let her come as long as BM agrees. Chances are BM will not agree, but letting it be on her mom that she couldn't go would be better than feeling of being left out of my family.

I know if Dh doesn't make the request BM will make a big deal to SD about how she is not included in my family functions. (My brother got married a couple of years ago and the same thing came up).

What do you think?

Ref

Sherry1

transpire the last week of school.  Also, I know here that kids are only allowed 10 days of excused time out of school per school year, and then they are expelled.  Family vacations are not counted as excused.

Ref

I thought that too. The only way around the finals is to offer to take them early. SD already missed a ton of school this year (missed her 1st period 9 times and the year is only 1/2 over)

Thanks
Ref

wysiwyg

Here that would have to be a prearranged absence and if a student leaves anyway, then it results in a 1% grade reduction for every day missed.  I think that she needs to just realize that it is not a feasibility and bribery will only have taught her wrong thinking later in life instead of facing the consequences for her actions, ie her grades are sucky and if she gets them up to go then the next time you will have a hard time trying to bribe her into compliance with something bigger and better than a trip to Europe.  Let her face the consequences of poor grades, such as summer school or whatnot. If she were an honor student chances are the school would be a little more lenient - but then again if it is not immediate family, (if I read correctly a step aunt) then the courts might not look favorably on that in the future if it crops its head, and in this forum, we all are very well aware of the things that can crop up at any time relevent or not.

My 2 cents are for you and DH to go and enjoy, let the child face her reprecussions for her own actions and schedule summer vacation when you can spend the time with her.

Just my opinion..........

wendl

I would have to agree she needs to finishe school since she has missed so much already, here they can only mis 10 days before legal action can he saught against the parent (high school) due to the BECA bill.

Now if she had been doing well and hadn't missed so much then I would say yes.  Their are consquences for your actions and she will have to learn that.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**