Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 09:47:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm starting a new post...

Started by Sunshine1, Mar 09, 2007, 03:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine1

I am really tired of popping in and seeing the 800 page post.

I do have a question however.  My ex and I are fighting over the tax exemption.  CO says he get the exemption, if he is current.  I sent medical receipts to him in October, gave him a month till end of November.  Submitted to CS to add on to the account (always do this he never wants to pay me directly) they received it on December 29 (stamped).

I call on February 2 they had not added it and was told by my worker that since the new law went into effect on January 1st, that I had to re-do the paperwork and she couldn't tell me that sooner because she was on vacation all of January.

What happened in 2006 and what was passed in 2007 have to do with each other I will never know apparently.  So I re-do, send it in, still the same just different worksheets, and since it was the same, as in 2006 and all the receipts happened in 2006 I took the exemption.

CS gave him a print out and my worker wrote on it saying he didn't owe anything for 2006.  WHAT??  I don't get it.  I have the flippin paper stamped December 29, 2006.

What is going to happen?  Anyone, anyone?  ....Threads are OPEN...

:)

forthekids24

We had the PBFH do this ONE time.  that was all it took :)

We both got audited by the IRS, we sent in our proof that she was behind and a copy of the court order.  We never heard anything further from the IRS.  This was al least 10 years ago now.

I think the tax exemptions have changed from how it was in previous years.  The CP has to sign a form to allow the NCP to take the tax exemption.  I can't remember which publication it was in.

Our court order says the same thing as yours, if she is current she gets to claim one child.

We (okay, I type it up and DH signs it) sent a certified letter to the ex stating that the form would not be filled out to allow her to take the exemption this year since she was past due.

Good Luck!
FTK

Sunshine1

Do you have to have the form every year?  Or do you need to sign one every year?  What happened with the IRS on your end?  Did you get your return? What do they want in the audit?

I filed, got my return back already, and a couple weeks later... he THEN freaked out because he tried to use the child he gets if he is current.

He didn't get him last year either because he was behind.  He was behind a couple of thousand last year but this year it was about 600.00.

I am not going to sign it unless I am told otherwise to do so....so far.  I filed in January, because CS waited until February to tell me that I had to submit my forms a different way for 2007...even though I made the deadline with the parent and they were stamped by the CS office in 2006.

Kitty C.

You can either sign it for only that year, or you can list the specific years, so it only has to be done once.  If there are conditions (like must be current with CS), I would ONLY sign it for one year at a time.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

forthekids24

As Kitty said below, the form can be for one year or multiple years.  We have never had to sign the form since she has been behind every year.

The one time we did get audited, the IRS asked us for copies of our court order that showed we have the children more than 50% of the time.  We also had to submit copies of utility bills.  (I think they were trying to figure out who was spending more on the kids)

We didn't recieve the audit notice until after we had received our refund so I was really worried that we would have to pay it back.

I think we got the final letter 30-60 days after I sent in all the proof saying that they determined that our taxes were correct.  I can only assume that meant that hers were wrong :)  We never did hear anything from her on it, I think she was trying to be sneaky.

FTK