Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 05:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

lied to about status

Started by greatdad, Jun 04, 2007, 07:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatdad

After many years just found out STBX's child was not adopted as I was told. STBX gave custody to someone. Doesnt that mean I have been deceived out of certain rights and do i now have ability to request visitation ( even thogh child is now a teen),doesnt it also mean STBX had legal responsibilitys to that child, as opposed to not having any if he were adopted?

notnew

What right's were you deceived out of?

You don't say if the child is yours or not.

If the child is yours, you can establish paternity and ask for parenting time if you so desire. Also expect that you will most likely be hit with CS retroactive. Not trying to say you shouldn't step up to the plate, but just so you know what could happen.

I don't know about the legal responsibility. It all depends on what type of custody was given. Obviously the person who has been taking care of the child has been satisfied with the arrangement.

You could consult an attorney to find out if you have any legal recourse against your STBX, but I am not sure about exactly what could be done.

dipper

If she gave custody that sounds as legal as an adoption..the other person is the child's legal guardian.  The other person had to willingly take responsibility for child as the courts did not take child away from stbx.  If they had wanted any financial help, they would have sought it at that point.

Honestly, I dont think you have any rights to this child.  it is not your biological child, and from what you posted, I am wondering if child was even with stbx before you came along.  

If you did have a relationship with the child at some point and wish to see how child is doing, i would contact the parent(s) and request to meet child.  Just tell them you care and have often wondered about child.  This person is the child's parent now regardless of how it came about.