Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 11:20:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Somewhat OT Iowa News, Child Restraint Law

Started by hisliltulip, Apr 29, 2004, 11:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hisliltulip

Vilsack signs new child restraint law

By CHARLOTTE EBY, Courier Des Moines Bureau

DES MOINES --- Gov. Tom Vilsack signed a reform of Iowa's child restraint law Wednesday, saying the new regulations would help reduce the number of traffic-related injuries and deaths to children.

The law, which goes into effect July 1, marks the first time in 18 years the state has made a significant change to its child restraint regulations.

"Iowa moves to the forefront of ensuring safety and security of youngsters while they are traveling on our byways and highways," Vilsack said at the bill's signing.
Traffic accidents are the leading cause of death for Iowa' children.

Under the new law:

--- Infants under the age of 1 year or children weighing less than 20 pounds will be required to ride in a rear-facing child safety seat.

--- A child safety seat or booster seat is required for children under the age of 6.

--- Children 6 to 10 must ride in a booster seat, safety harness or seat belt.

Law enforcement agencies will conduct a public awareness campaign to educate Iowans on the new law. Drivers with children improperly restrained in their vehicles will receive warnings for the first 18 months. After that, they will face a $25 fine.

"We need to make sure that parents in the state, grandparents and those who transport youngsters fully understand that this is a significant change and one that we're going to be very serious about enforcing once this educational period has expired," Vilsack said.

Current Iowa law requires children to be secured in a child safety seat until the age of 2, and secured in a child seat or seat belt through the age of 5. Children 6 and older can now ride in the back seat unrestrained, without even wearing a seat belt.

Kathy Leggett, coordinator for Iowa SAFE KIDS Coalition, which pushed for the legislation, said the new law was a "huge improvement."

She said seat belts are not the right size for young children and put them at high risk for serious injures. A child safety seat with a harness is recommended for children until they reach 40 pounds, when a booster seat can be used, Leggett said.

Families that need financial assistance to pay for the seats can get help at one of the programs that already exist in 65 of Iowa's 99 counties, she said.

The new regulations also were supported by a number of law enforcement and public health agencies.

A report released by a national child safety group in 2001 gave Iowa and several other states failing grades for their restraint laws, a report Vilsack said was a call to action.

"It's taken us longer than it should have in this state, but today, we rectify that," Vilsack said.

The legislation faced significant hurdles in the Iowa Legislature, where it had stalled in recent years after some lawmakers criticized the child restraint law as being too intrusive.

But Vilsack said the families of children who have suffered brain injuries in traffic accidents would have done nearly anything to avoid them.

"This is about common sense; it's about safety; it's about protecting our children, and I think government has a responsibility," Vilsack said.

Sen. David Johnson, R-Ocheyedan, who has worked as volunteer firefighter, said knowing children were killed and injured because they were not properly restrained convinced him the law needed to be changed.

"If we can reduce that number of losses, that's great," said Johnson, the bill's main sponsor in the Senate.

kiddosmom

----But Vilsack said the families of children who have suffered brain injuries in traffic accidents would have done nearly anything to avoid them.
------

Sheesh, you would think they would put the kids in the seatbelts even though it is not a law!

hisliltulip

I think the general consensus is that they did stick them in seat belts, but not booster seats.

I live in MN and I let loose (politely) on my Ex about allowing five year old son to ride in his (ex's) mom's car without the booster seat.  THAT I HAD PROVIDED!

When I asked her where it was, she had no idea that DS had one.

She looked at me kinda crazy too.  Ex- SIL has a daughter 1 month younger than DS, and hasn't used a carseat for a couple of years.  When Ex-MIL told me that, I said "Well that's fine, I'm not her Mommy, I'm DS's Mommy.  It,s My job to make sure he is as safe as can possibly be.  He rides in the car for an awful lot of miles to see his Dad (2-4 hours, depending where they stay), so I want to make sure he is as protected as possible."

Unfortunately, I can't 'make' them use it.  MN law says until age four.  DS is almost six.  But he has been good about not letting them forget the seat anymore.

Fortunately, he and SS LIKE using their booster seats, so I haven't run into whining about having to use them.

Riding in the booster is safer (happy me) and more comfortable (happy them) as they can see out of windows better and have some support should they get sleepy.

I wish MN would follow suit.  Too many kids riding around unprotected.

Peanutsdad

LOL, the fine in Texas is 100-200 bux,, depending on if you've gotten one before.

Imom

They are trying to pass here in Indiana that you have to be at least 4 foot 9 to be out of a booster because thats when you fit properly in a seat belt (which I have to admit, its true). Well not only will four out of soon to be 5 be in boosters so will I at 4 foot 7.  I'm 26 (in July). And what about special car seat for us prego's.

kiddosmom

LOL I bet that is not even a concideration!!!!

Wear high heels *snicker*

Imom

I am sure it will be inregards to children and all, I just thought that would be funny. People always asume I'm a child anyway.....I get strange looks as I'm 29 weeks along now.....

Troubledmom

27360.5.   (a) No parent or legal guardian, when present in a motor vehicle, as defined in Section 27315, may permit his or her child or ward who is six years of age, but less than 16 years of age, or who is less than six years of age and weighs 60 pounds or more to be transported upon a highway in the motor vehicle without providing and properly securing the child or ward in an appropriate child passenger restraint system or safety belt meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards.

(b) No driver may transport on a highway any child who is six years of age, but less than 16 years of age, or who is less than six years of age and weighs 60 pounds or more in a motor vehicle, as defined in Section 27315, without providing and properly securing the child in a child passenger restraint system or safety belt meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards. This subdivision does not apply to a driver if the parent or legal guardian of the child is also present in the vehicle and is not the driver.

(c) (1) A first offense under this section is punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars ($100),

TM

wendl

LOL Imom, can you imagine seeing a PG woman who is little in a car seat.

:)

My best friend is a little woman so to speak, she is short and doesnt weigh much, I always crack up when she comes over. She drives a new Suburban and you can't even tell anyone is driving its so funny.