Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 15, 2024, 11:12:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boy Kills Father - Divorce May Have Affected Him

Started by jilly, Aug 29, 2004, 05:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jilly

Divorce May Have Affected Accused Boy

Published: 8/29/04

KATY, Texas (AP) - A 10-year-old boy accused of fatally shooting his physician father had watched his parents endure a messy divorce that included unproven allegations of sexual abuse.

Rick James Lohstroh, 41, was shot several times Friday as he sat in his sport utility vehicle after arriving to take the child for a weekend visit, police said.

The boy's mother, Deborah Geisler, had filed complaints with police during the 2003 divorce alleging that Lohstroh had molested their sons.

"He was very angry with his father," Geisler said in Sunday editions of the Houston Chronicle.

Lohstroh's attorney, Kathleen Collins, said police found no evidence to support the abuse claims. "This was one of the worst cases I've seen in terms of false allegations," she said.

The boy is being held in the Harris County Juvenile Detention Center pending a Monday hearing.

Geisler said she does not know how the boy got her gun, which she said she kept locked and unloaded in her home in Katy, about 30 miles west of Houston.

Lohstroh's co-workers at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston said he was loved and respected, although he often complained about the divorce.

"Everybody who knew Rick knew that he had a tough divorce and had trouble with his ex-wife," said Dr. Brian Zachariah, director of the hospital's emergency department

StPaulieGirl

Oh, just damn.

I think that woman knows exactly how that boy got his hands on the gun.  Was the gun locked up and unloaded on that particular day?  She needs to be charged with first degree murder.

Has the gun grabbing fifth column said anything about this case yet?

jilly

Just damn is right. I agree....she knows how her son got ahold of that gun. I don't know if this is nationwide, but isn't there a law that allows parents to be charged if they don't keep a firearm unloaded and locked up so kids can't get it?  I've heard of several cases like that here in North Carolina where parents were charged for improper storage of a firearm or something like that.  I haven't seen anything from the anti-gun folks but then I haven't read the news this morning. I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

jilly

Amazing what you can find on the internet!

Homicide News Release

Type of Case: Shooting Investigation
Case #: 04-0827-1705
Offense Date: 8/27/2004 3:43:00 AM
Complainant: Lohstroh, Rick W/M 40YOA DOB-03-27-64
Suspect/Defendant: 10YOA W/M (name withheld at this time)
Notification of Next of Kin: Yes
Person Notified: Mother
Date of Release: 8/27/2004 10:10:00 AM
Approved for Release: B. E. Williams

Details:

On August 27, 2004 at approximately 3:43 p.m. PCT. 5 Constables received a shots fired call at 1706 Cedar Cove Ct. Upon arrival at the scene deputies found a 40YOA white male later identified as Rick Lohstroh inside of his vehicle with multiple gunshot wounds. Lohstroh was transported by West Harris County EMS to an area where he was Life-Flighted to Hermann Hospital. Lohstroh was pronounced dead upon arrival at Hermann Hospital. Investigation revealed that Lohstroh had came to the residence on Cedar Cove Ct. to pick up his two children ages 7 and 10. When he arrived at the residence his ten year old son got a weapon from his mother's bedroom and went to the vehicle where his dad was located. The ten year old entered the vehicle and fired numerous shots from the back seat through the back of the driver's seat striking his father. He then exited the vehicle and fired more times striking his father's vehicle as well as a neighbors car parked near the victim's vehicle. He then returned to the house where the mother took the weapon from him and called 911.  

Case under investigation at this time by Harris County Sheriff's Department Homicide Division.  

Kitty C.

Sounds like Mommy Dearest didn't bother to do anything about it until the boy came back inside after doing the deed.

Maybe she figured out that he was worth a LOT more in regards to his children dead than alive.  And found a plan of action that would implicate her as minimally as possible.  Thinking that they won't put a 10 y.o. child away for murder.

Pray that she's wrong on ALL counts........
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Peanutsdad

I would still like to know all the background info on this case.

Part of me thinks,, man what the hell has this kid endured to go to such lengths?

Was it cold blooded conditioning on moms part?

Was it brutality or abuse at the hands of dad?

THAT is going to be the deciding factors in this case,, and guess what folks,, dads not around to tell......

lovehiskids

Spoke to someone on another board who knows the family. She says  Dad was supposed to pick the boys up from school, called the mom, she had kept them home. Three days before, she conveniently purchased a gun. She kept the other younger son inside the house, older son got into the car behind dad and shot him three times, got out and shot him two more times. After hearing the five shots, mom then called the police. The parents had recently gone through a nasty divorce, she had always threatened to kill the dad. She told him all the time that she was going to inject him w/ insulin when he went to sleep (she's diabetic). She had major problems according to her.

nosonew

This poor kid, and his brother.  I feel sooo sorry for them...being brainwashed by their mother..SICK, SICK, SICK!!!  This should get national attention, perhaps someone can send this info to Dr. Phil for his shows... and some people say it's not "real"!  

StPaulieGirl

I cannot believe a 10 year old child could do this to anyone, much less his parent.

He then returned to the house where the mother took the weapon from him and called 911.

Well I've sat here for quite a while, and still can't come up with a response to that...Oh yes I can, but I'm already juggling hand grenades.

StPaulieGirl

Can that be proven?  Did she really purchase the gun 3 days before the murder?

She planned this, and unless the DA rides the short bus, this woman is going to the chair.  Reread what you typed : "After hearing the five shots, mom then called the police".

Okay.  She just sat there while her child waltzed out of the house with a gun (5 shot=9MM?)?  She didn't run after him and prevent him from doing this?

Prayers for the family.