Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bipolar disorder..what to do now?

Started by Sunshine1, Oct 10, 2004, 01:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine1

I am in need of a little assistance.  Does anyone have a family member out there that has bipolar disorder?

We just found out that my children's step mom has bipolar disorder.  She kept it a secret for various reasons and just went through a manic state and tried to commit suicide and threatened all of our lives. Mainly mine and the children's.

I understand that it really isn't her talking but now I am in a tight spot for the sake of our children.  Their Biodad is still in shock of this whole ordeal and they recently just had a baby.

She was committed on Thursday unvoluntarily and they have not yet released her.  What do I do now?  The kids can not stop seeing their dad, that is not an option, but what do I do?  I need to make sure they are safe during his visits and so on.  I do not feel comfortable leaving them alone with her since she does have serious thoughts of hurting them.

I have just started reading up on this disease and it is very serious.  He thought about leaving her but I told him I didn't expect him to, it is his wife!  It is a disease just like anything else, I told him I didn't expect him to leave her if she had cancer!?

I may just be jumping the gun here, and everything may turn out ok.  I just don't know how to handle this new fork in the road.?

ANY help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Peanutsdad

Bipolars are able to function quite well so long as they stay on their meds. Unfortunately, most wont.

Im sorry, but you may be left with no choice but to file a protective order based on threats and mental illness against her in order to keep her from being ABLE to be near your children.

msme

First I want to congratulate you on your attitude. I am sure this is terrifying. I have a very dear friend who's adult daughter tried to kill him while in a deep down swing. She had a knife & nearly severed his thumb as he fought her off. He grabbed a phone & hit her in the head, knocking her out. He called the police & they jailed him for domestic violence.

She can become a normal functioning person but it won't be easy. In the mean time, I would suggest to their dad that when she is out again, he arrange to have his time with the kids outside the home. I am sure that the 2 of you can work together to make this as easy as possible for the kids.

You might suggest that he locate the local NAMI group.(National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) They offer lots of information & support.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression!