Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 16, 2024, 11:28:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is it legal for opposing counsel to sign as your attorney?

Started by equal_rights, Nov 15, 2004, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

equal_rights

Is it legal for the opposing counsel to sign an order claiming he is your attorney?  The counsel for the defendent, signed and order stating that he was the attorney for the plaintiff.  Is this legal?  

DecentDad

It's probably an error, like his office checked the wrong box.

It's not legal, no, if it's not an error.

equal_rights

Wanted to know because my attorney didn't even sign it.  The opposing attorney drew it up.  So his signature and ID is the only one on there.  

wendl

it is probably just a human error. BUT ususally both attorneys sign the forms, why didn't your attorney sign it and was it entered thru the courts

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

equal_rights

I have no idea why he didn't sign?  It was a visitation modification, it was written up by the other attorney after the hearing for the modification.  The other attorney stated that he would write it up to my attorney.  He wrote it up very sloppily, and then wrote that he was the attorney for the plaintiff.  Which is me.  My lawyer told me to sign by the X.  His signature or ID # is no where on the order.

wendl

SO you signed the sloppy order without reading it, if so looks like another trip to court.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

joni

Don't ever sign anything without your atty reviewing it.  My DH's Ex's atty tried to substantially change an order from the court hearing.  We objected to her draft and had to go back to court to listen to the audio tape to rewrite the order.  Had we taken her "version", my DH would have had no free access to school or medical records.

equal_rights

My attorney was present, and the order did state what it was supposed to state as far as the modification.  The other attorney's signature and stuff was not on the order yet when I signed it though.  My attorney didn't sign it at all.  I was told to sign on the x.  At that point in my case  I still had confidence in my attorney.  I just noticed that the other attorney hadn't signed properly a couple months ago when I was going over some things.