Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 12:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I up a creek?

Started by Dad2Dean, Nov 20, 2004, 09:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dad2Dean

My divorce was filed some time ago, and we're still fighting it out. Her biggest thing right now is that my girlfriend has moved closer to where I live. She (the gf) does not live with me, but is at my house 90% of the time. She does NOT spend the night when I have my kids, but they do know, and adore, her. The problem is this - my stbx is making noise about me having an "affair". Nothing could be farther from the truth. This is all above board, and from what I've read since we are legally separated, I am allowed to see whomever I choose. Am I correct? My stbx is saying that she'll keep the kids from me when ever my gf is around and that I'll never get custody because I'm dating. Now, background on the gf. Great woman, business professional, financially responsible, mother herself, no criminal past of any kind, and is crazy about my kids. Does she really stand a better chance of getting full custody, leaving me with every other weekend only because of this? I would love to have full custody of my children, but my atty has told me that the county that I'm in is very "mother friendly", so although I'm fighting for full custody, I'm willing to go for every other weekend and one extra night a week. Is this a pipe dream?

janM

How often do you have them now? That will probably be (I hope) the standard to set future time with them. Make sure you are documenting this.

If the kids are already living most of the time with mom, that is the thing that could prevent you from getting full custody. Status quo is hard to fight.

If you are legally separated, she is blowing smoke. You can see whoever you want as long as they are no danger to the kids. Good thing that she does not spend the night with the kids there. The judge may be old-fashioned about that. Also good that you're aiming for full but will settle for less if need be. Try to get as much time as you can, if you can't get 50/50. In most places standard parenting time is EOW and one week night.

Once you have an order in place, if she keeps the kids away she will be in contempt.

Good luck and keep us posted. I hope you get this finalized soon.

MYSONSDAD

She's barking up the wrong tree. Needs to choose her battles more wisely. Let her look like a fool...

Document every detail of what is going on. Time tracker here at Sparc  and also the Optimal for Parenting Time is very good.

http://www.parentingtime.net/

Sounds like some jealousy on her part...

"Children learn what they live"