Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 07:48:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Identity theft????

Started by dadof3plus2, Jan 06, 2005, 03:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadof3plus2

Hello everyone,

I am currently in a "lawsuit" where I am going against the state of Missouri and my ex over child support. This has been going on since August of 2002. Have had two hearings with the state and due to issues in miscalculations by them and gender bias at the second hearing, I filed for a judicial hearing on the matter.

Anyhow, something happened this week that has me REALLY worried and brings me to ask for your advice/opinions. The state sent a request for financial statements and interrogitories and wanted to go back 5 years. OK, no problem, I had all of the information that they reguested. I took all of it to my lawyer and he made copies of everything to send to the state and my ex since she is a party to the case.

My "issue" is this..... my lawyer sent out ALL of my information for the last 5 years......bank statements, 401K statements, credit card statements, ect. Now, mind you, ALL of this information has ALL of my account numbers, routing numbers, credit card numbers, check numbers, driver's license numbers, social security numbers!!!!

I spoke with  my lawyer and asked him why he had sent it to my ex and he said "She is a party in this lawsuit and has the right to this information just as the state does." I totally understand that she has a right to know and see the interrogitories and financial statements.......but they sent her actual copies of EVERYTHING (over 1800 pieces of paper)!

Is this true? Does she have a right to all my personal confidential information?

She now has everything that she needs to ruin me financially through identity theft.......and my lawyer gave it to her!!!! This makes me extremely nervous to say the least!

Your thoughts?

dadof3plus2

MixedBag

I think your attorney is right.

And hindsight is well, however that saying goes....

BLACKOUT that type of information next time on both sides of the paper....

I suggest that you contact all three major credit reporting agencies and voice your concern over the possiblity of identify theft.  They will flag your record and that will help stop lots of stuff.

We did that to ours....

Now we can't get a credit report on ourselves on-line for example, because the system won't release the records.

And when we signed up for cell phone service, we had to run home and answer the phone while the system called the home phone to make sure WE had signed up for cell phone service and that's why they were running a credit check.

So I know we've been protected -- to a degree.

I'd also get a credit report NOW to see whats on there NOW, and then maybe every 6 months to see what's new (surprises).

If you're really concerned -- cancel the credit cards and get new accounts under different numbers opened.  That will eliminate that worry at no cost to you, just a few headaches, but you'll sleep better.

jilly

Some or most credit card companies have programs that you can sign up for and pay a yearly fee for the service.  What these programs do is contact you ANYTIME a credit check is run.  They tell you who requested it and when.  That might be something you could look in to as far as your credit cards.  As for the bank and 401K information, I would go with what MixedBag said and have those accounts flagged so that the bank or the company that manages your 401K will contact you when there is any suspicious activity.