Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 04:37:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

FERPA info, for those that are facing troubles....

Started by speciallady, Feb 27, 2005, 04:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speciallady

I often wondered why all the fuss when a parent wants their childs info contained in school records and here's what I found..

"While parents have a right to review records, schools are NOT REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW TO PROVIDE COPIES OF INFORMATION, unless providing copies would be the only way of giving parent access."
(found in a book I am studying to clear some provisions on my teaching license---PM me if you would like the title.)

So, if I was asking for my child's records, I'd not only send a self addressed stamped envelope, I'd send copy paper as well....

Just an FYI

joni

Send the self addressed envelope with 7 or 8 stamps on it.  Send them a check for $25 to reimburse them copy costs....see what you get.  

We did this and they mailed us the entire record.

KAT

I believe that federal case law states *reasonable driving distance*. Additionally, some states have laws that also incorporate distance. What school would even want to spend the money to fight what reasonable is if not determined by their own codes? Not worth it. Taxpayers would be outraged. But just in case we are 75 miles away from the school so I was prepared for that battle. We also sent a check for $25.00 to cover costs but they sent it back with a copy of all the records...of course that second letter was rather strongly worded.*snort*

KAT