Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 06:14:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Question

Started by wendl, Mar 22, 2005, 06:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wendl

Would any of you ALLOW kids under the age of 11 to play the video game Splinter Cell it is Rated M for mature.

I won't allow my 13yr old but was wonder about all of you and your opinons.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

Troubledmom

Wendl, although I have not seen the game, I asked my son who is 17 if it was appropriate... his instant response was "Hell No" and then a  hand over his mouth for cussing. From his view, it is really not appropriate for anyone...

TM

MYSONSDAD

I would think the video games are rated in close relationship to how movies are rated. I would say mature, would be over 18 years of age.

You could always view when the kids are not there and base your own opinion.

"Children learn what they live"

wendl

At our house (my son who is oldest included) are NOT allowed to play, HALO, HALO2, Resident Evil, Max Payne, Splinter Cell, Grand Theft Auto etc, basically all the rated M games. BUT at moms they are allowed to play these games.

I just don't understand the thinking of some people and how they would allow their chidlren to play these games, they are rated M for a reason.

Just wanted others opinons on this.

Thanks all :)

MYSONSDAD

I would not like it either. It certainly shows her lack of parenting skills.
Not setting a good example, what else does she allow? That would be my concern.

Toys are also rated according to age, our son was allowed 4+ toys at the age of one year. Battery operated, moving toys that he could sit in and ride. Is she nuts? And that, on a busy State highway...

"Children learn what they live"

janM

The last time BM had GS overnight, she told me on the phone (and he described it to me too) that they had played Resident Evil 2. I asked several people and they told me it was rated M for mature and that a 6 and 8 year old (8 being his step brother) should NOT be playing it.

rachaelmomma

Actually we don't allow our daughter to play any video/computer games that contain any level of violence or gore.  If it isn't G rated they don't play it.

I know that is a bit prudish to some folks but I feel it is extremely important to buck the societal "norms" and go back to the days of using the time God gave us as parents to do the best we can to raise Quality, morally sound children who will, God willing, become Quality, morally sound adults.

It is really up to you as a parent as to what you feel is OK for your children to witness and play with.  

Don't be afraid to stand your ground and enforce good morals on your children.  They are your children.  You have the right to raise them as you please.

JM2C

wendl

Well DH and I don't let the kids play these games at our house, but we cannot control what their mother allows them to do.