Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 08:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Live In Boyfriend

Started by nkmueller, Nov 02, 2005, 02:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nkmueller

I've been divorced for over two years and my ex-husband is constantly trying to sabatoge my happiness, whether our daughter is involved or not.  The newest issue has to do with the fact that my boyfriend is moving in.  My ex has a major problem with that and plans to get the courts to overturn my decision.

My daughter is #1 one and I would not subject her to this if it wasn't going to be forever.  We have decided to get married at some point, but I'm not sure how that is going to affect child support, etc.  Can the courts really keep him from moving in?  We have shared parenting, can I lose my daughter?  ETC.

I've been researching online and thought maybe someone out there has been through this and can advise me where to look, etc.

Need help ASAP!!!

Ref

First, a judge will not order that he can't move in. The judge can only order a change in custody based on potential harm to your child.

I can't imagine any judge finding the simple fact that you live with someone you are not married to grounds for a change in custody. There are too many people out their that choose not to marry but cohabitate. It could happen though. Look at the area you live in. Is it conservative or liberal?

The only way I think it would be a slam dunk for your ex is if your boyfriend has a criminal record, drug problem or something to that effect. If that is the case, he could have custody changed if you were married to him and he live with you.

Good Luck (and I honestly wouldn't sweat this one)
Ref

awakenlynn

I don't believe moving your boyfriend in is a good idea.  Make sure that the values of sex without marriage is one you wish to instill in your child.  Also check with your state.  IA was trying to get the law passed that the NCP could fight and WIN custody if the custodial parent had a lover move in.  I hope it got passed.

dontunderstand

I am not sure that I agree.  This is 2005.  I will have to say that every judge is going to be different as is the state.  With that said, I think that what you do in your personal life is your choice, as long as it has no harmful affect to your child.  Keep in mind though, that you have no say what your x does in his personal life including who he dates or lives with, as long as there is no harm to your child.

gipsy

Hey post this On socrateaser's board : And read Through a bunch of the posts . There is some in paricular that describe the reguirements for change of custody after the court has heard the case and decided custody , , In the same post he tell's the difference when the court has not heard the case and decided whom the child will live with , I would like to see His answer to this ,