Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 03:47:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

not a dad issue but a question on school stuff...

Started by wysiwyg, Nov 29, 2005, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wysiwyg

This evening at the dinner table my child produced a paper sent home by the school that stated their desire to do a food drive for a less fortunate family in the community.  While I think that this in itself is a wonderful opportunity for our children to learn about the spirit of giving, the school put some qualifiers on their project.

Each child is provided a list of non perishable food items to produce such as Black olives, Mandarin oranges, Windex, Rice-a-Roni clam chowder, bottled water, all sorts of juices etc.  The list goes on to list 96 different items and goes on to then reward the children with candy and soda in all 4 of their core classes for the contribution of 25 items, and 20 "citizenship" points in each of Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies for the contribution of 35 items.  My child also stated that she was told to not produce multiples of the same item, that in order to get the bonus points she had to give 35 different items.  

I am unsettled with the fact that asking my child to buy and contribute 35 different items – that in any grocery store will be of an average of $2.00 will cost me $70 dollars to boost my child's grade to something she did nothing herself to achieve!  Additionally I am not financially in a position to contribute this much to the cause as perhaps many children who will not be able to take advantage of boosting their grade because of their parents financial woes. This does nothing to teach our children honesty in achieving their grades themselves or take pride in their accomplishments based upon their knowledge and ability to demonstrate that they understand their subjects nor does it do anything to show them the satisfaction and compassion to help and give from their heart to help someone less fortunate.  I feel this is a loose loose situation for our children as the course is then driven by the child's desire/need to boost their own grade, the parents financial ability to buy the products for their kids (and those parents who can not) and not about a less fortunate family during the holiday season.  Therein lays an ulterior motive to be taught to our kids, and teaching them that this is all about themselves - how to get a better grade without the doing the work and not about helping someone truly in need.  This is nothing more than a slick marketing lesson.

How can this happen and is it even legal to boost a child's grade for such a food drive?

Sorry just venting.............

dontunderstand

This is also saying to me anyway, that money can buy you anything, even a grade!  I think is sad and I would definately talk to the principal.  I personally love to contribute to any food drive that my daughter may have, however I would not love being told that I have to contribute xxx amount.  It does defeat the purpose of giving freely and with your heart...