Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 03:22:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Inside Home Tape Recording - WI

Started by EyeInTheSky, Apr 08, 2006, 07:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EyeInTheSky

I've looked at WISCONSIN law and don't quite understand it.

Can one party tape record the other party's without their knowing inside the married couple's home? i'm mainly referring to threats of violence.

Thanks.

Eye

KAT

Wis. Stat. § 968.31: A person who is a party to a wire, electronic or oral communication, or who has obtained prior consent from one party, can legally record and divulge the contents of the communication, unless he does so for the purpose of committing a criminal or tortious act.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of "oral communication," Wis. Stat. § 968.27.

Effective Feb. 1, 2003, the punishment for recording or disclosing the contents of a conversation without the appropriate consent is imprisonment for up to six years and/or a criminal fine of up to $10,000. Wisconsin law expressly authorizes civil damages for violations and allows recovery of the greater of actual damages, $100 for each day of violation or $1,000, along with punitive damages, litigation costs and attorney fees.

Here is a good reference for all states:

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

It does appear that WI is a one party state.

KAT

EyeInTheSky

Thanks KAT,

I thought that's the way I read it.......why can't it just say YES or NO?  LOL

Thanks so much.

Donna