Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 11:20:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

melissa3- how are things?

Started by KathyNY, Aug 22, 2006, 07:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melissa3

Hi!

Yes they have 50/50 legal right now. There was a trial a month ago but still no answer yet so the first temp. order still stands.

We don't know which school it is. There are about 5 public schools near the BF's house (we googled his name to get the address.) We can call all the schools to find out if the duaghter is enrolled but I dont think the people will be too helpful. I mean, the fact that he's calling the school to find out if his daughter goes there is a red-flag that something is weird and they'll probably think he's not supposed to have contact with his kid.

This is insane!

Any suggestions on what to say to the school so he can just find out if his daughter is enrolled?

ocean

Look for the district number and call them. They will have the enrollment for all the schools in their area. I would just say, "hi, my name is XXX, I am XXXX father. I live out of state and wanted to find out who my child's teacher is" Let them look it up. If child is not listed, say" oh I must have the wrong district, can you please tell me who your neighboring district is?"
Good luck!

Sunshine1

the previous school that SD went to and you ask them where or what district they forwarded her school records to.  If they give you any crap you tell them that the mother enrolled her without your knowledge and you are trying to locate the school for court purposes....ocean's idea is good too.

melissa3

HELLO!!

We went to the first school last month to get records but they turned us down because mother gave them the temp order that says fiance has supervised visits. NOWHERE does it say he's not allowed to access records but I guess if you can't access your kid then you can't access their info either. Its all bull.

We just sent an email to BM asking where she enrolled daughter and when the first day is. If she doesnt respond then I'll have fiance call all the new schools. Either way the judge is going to hear about this crap the bM is pulling!

ocean

Call the first school again and ask for the Principal (if you talked to them before, ask to talk to the superintedent). Tell them he is the father and under the current law, you are entitled to records regardless of the visitation plan. They know this already but let them know you know :) Then ask, when you can pick up the records, along with what school they sent them to for the transfer.
Good luck!

melissa3

FERPA won't help us here. I got this paragraph from the MA state government site. See bold print....

Education Laws and Regulations
603 CMR 23.00
Student Records
23.07: Access to Student Records

(5) Access Procedures for Non-Custodial Parents. As required by M.G.L. c. 71, § 34H, a non-custodial parent may have access to the student record in accordance with the following provisions.

(a) A non-custodial parent is eligible to obtain access to the student record unless:

1. the parent has been denied legal custody based on a threat to the safety of the student or to the custodial parent, or
       2. the parent has been denied visitation or has been ordered to supervised visitation, or
       3. the parent's access to the student or to the custodial parent has been restricted by a temporary or permanent protective order, unless the protective order (or any subsequent order modifying the protective order) specifically allows access to the information contained in the student record.

BM gives this to all the people we try to contact. Our next step is to go to court and have this removed (since the damn visits were unnessecary to begin with!!!!)

Thank you all for your help and advice. I will keep you updated.

lucky

I'd double check.  I thought that FERPA overrode the state laws.
[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

notnew

You need to go back to court and specifically ask for an order that contains language that gives you the right to all of the information for medical, school, etc.

That way they can't get around it no way no how.

I hope you are able to get the information.

Sunshine1

Its time to get sneaky and borderline illegal on finding this information.  I will have to think about how "I" would go about getting this information if it were me.  I don't take no for answer...EVER.  I should be in therapy. LOL.  Don't worry we will pool our resources and get this info!!!

Sunshine1

I got an idea.  You have a PM.