Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 03:57:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

boyfriend's son

Started by taylor1985, Nov 23, 2006, 04:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylor1985

i started dating a man about 5 months ago, we will call him joe. he had a little boy with a woman we well call jane. the little boy is about to be one year old. i am perfectly fine with joe having a child. i love children and i would love to welcome him into my life. the problem is joe's parents, and come to find out today, janes parents want them to get married. they are not, of course, but this is causing problems. joe supports jane and the baby completely. she could not survive without his monitary support. she is now threatening that if they don't get married that she is going to take their baby away from him. i don't really know the rules of custody at all and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about his rights as the baby's father. please help soon because i'm afraid this is going to get ugly.
thanks
taylor

Jade

>i started dating a man about 5 months ago, we will call him
>joe. he had a little boy with a woman we well call jane. the
>little boy is about to be one year old. i am perfectly fine
>with joe having a child. i love children and i would love to
>welcome him into my life. the problem is joe's parents, and
>come to find out today, janes parents want them to get
>married. they are not, of course, but this is causing
>problems. joe supports jane and the baby completely. she could
>not survive without his monitary support. she is now
>threatening that if they don't get married that she is going
>to take their baby away from him. i don't really know the
>rules of custody at all and i was wondering if anyone knew
>anything about his rights as the baby's father. please help
>soon because i'm afraid this is going to get ugly.
>thanks
>taylor

The first thing he needs to do is get a good, experienced attorney and have visitation and paternity established.  Is the child support court-ordered?  If it is, then parternity is already established.  If not, then he needs to address this as well.  He needs to gather all of his records of what he has been paying for support to date.  

One thing that you need to realize is that while you may care for your boyfriend, you have no say in the legal proceedings and may actually make the situation worse if you interfere.