Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 05:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

emancipation

Started by bedjo519, Apr 25, 2007, 07:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedjo519

I am 16 and I am going to turn 17 in less than a month. just recently my father kicked me out of my home and I have no place to go. At the present moment I am homeless, but I make a steady income. I need information on how I can go about getting emancipated, so that I can get a home of my own, since no one will lease to me because of my age. I appreciate any advice.

Jade

>I am 16 and I am going to turn 17 in less than a month. just
>recently my father kicked me out of my home and I have no
>place to go. At the present moment I am homeless, but I make a
>steady income. I need information on how I can go about
>getting emancipated, so that I can get a home of my own, since
>no one will lease to me because of my age. I appreciate any
>advice.

Well, your father can't legally kick you out of your home without a court order.  Move back in.  Your father broke the law.  Even a landlord can't kick someone out without first going to court to get the tenant evicted.

Second, if you don't want to do that, go to your local child protective agency and explain to them what happened.  They will place you in a foster home and go after your father and mother for child support.

Kitty C.

And let the state have the money?????  This child would be much better off finding a pro bono atty. and get the emancipation papers filed.  All that's needed is to find out what the state law requires and show proof of that.  I don't know what state this is, but generally all that they require is that the child be self-supportive and mature enough to handle it (aware of what it takes, financially, emotionally, to support oneself).

As to whether the father broke the law is up to the state to decide....this child is just that......a CHILD, not a 'tenant', therefore the laws may not evenly apply.   But for a self-supporting almost-17-y.o. to give themselves up to the state and their foster system would be a huge waste.  I could about guarantee you they wouldn't let this kid keep his/her job and run him/her through the bureaucratic BS of the state, just to be tossed out in about a year.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Davy

... your father said "you're only 16" and you just don't say or behave like this ....

so then you converted it in your mind ... I AM GOING TO SAY AND BEHAVE LIKE THIS so you have kicked me out  and now you are posting on the internet saying and doing whatever... attacking your father because you've learned that thus far in school and from others.  

Emancipation is a big word with a lot of letters ... isn't spell-checker great ... and it is a legal proceedure for those with a HISTORY of self care and management that have legitimate needs.

An example, a friend of mind took care of his ill mother for several years working after school and on weekends.  He was able to participate in athletics and other school events, etc.  He clearly had transportation  needs (and the like) to get to work and school.  Nothing at all changed in his lifestyle when he was emanicipated.  No big deal.

What 's your big deal ???

bedjo519

Since Nobody seems to understand the depth of this situation, let me elaborate. My dad was abusive, he threw me down the stairs and told me to get out. So my fiance's sister came and picked me up and put me in a hotel (which I paid for)A few days later she took me to florida to get the original custody papers from when I was 2(statng that my father was not supposed to have any contact with me, i was with him illegally becasue I had no where to go in florida I was kicked out there from a foster home) since then I stayed with my fiance's sister. BUt she was kicked out of her apartment, and now there is no one else left to take me in and so I need to know how I can go about emancipating myself.  

mistoffolees

Where is your mother in all of this?

In order to see whether you can become emancipated, you'll need to contact an attorney. Often, the first visit is free, but if not, it may be worth the expense.