Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 10:47:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

School information

Started by awakenlynn, Jun 01, 2007, 10:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awakenlynn

Here is a question.  IL had jurisdiction until late fall 2006.  At that time, the SD and ex had been living in TX since 2002.  Does the schools have to follow the statutes in regards to TX or IL since the child was living in TX, but the orders came from IL.

Now that the foreign order has been registered in TX, does the implied portions such as education is in IL follow the IL order registered in TX?  There has never been a court case in TX yet, so does the TX statutes fall into play yet?

Thanks,
Lynn

mistoffolees

>Here is a question.  IL had jurisdiction until late fall
>2006.  At that time, the SD and ex had been living in TX since
>2002.  Does the schools have to follow the statutes in regards
>to TX or IL since the child was living in TX, but the orders
>came from IL.
>
>Now that the foreign order has been registered in TX, does the
>implied portions such as education is in IL follow the IL
>order registered in TX?  There has never been a court case in
>TX yet, so does the TX statutes fall into play yet?

IL has no ability to enforce its rules wrt school in Texas. Texas schools will follow the laws in Texas and will (rightly) thumb their noses at IL.

That doesn't really change anything. If you have joint legal custody, a letter from your attorney should get you copies of the information. If you don't have joint legal custody, then the school has no obligation to provide anything - although most schools will provide information like schedules if asked nicely. However, since the school schedule is probably on their web site, that's not particularly useful.

ocean

If the school is sending your the report cards then they are following the law. The law does not require them to give you the PTA letters, fundraisers...etc...
I would use the website as often as possible and for major events, call the school and ask if the end of the year days changed/concert times/ graduations/field days.....
Honestly, I hand out letters in their "mailbox" every day, sometimes 3 or more things go home a day. The PTA runs off enough for my class exactly and I send it home. It would be a nightmare for the office to send home the same thing to every divorced situation. If a parent tells me their is a situation, I will try to send 2 or send an e-mail but I am with them all day long. If I had 400 kids I see everyday...not sure how that would work....
I see it both ways but at the high school level the child really is in charge of what comes home or what they want to sign up for because they have to listen to the announcements or look at the posters on the walls.