Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 06:20:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'His Side' info

Started by MYSONSDAD, Jun 23, 2004, 09:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MYSONSDAD

My latest opinion column, US Supreme Court: Noncustodial Parents Have no Rights a Court Need Respect (Chicago Sun-Times, 6/17/04, Los Angeles Daily News, 6/16/04) (co-authored by family law attorney Jeff Leving) concerns the new US Supreme Court decision in the "Under God"/Pledge case.

Views on the significance of the ruling differ. Several legal scholars, including Catherine Ross and Jonathan Turley of George Washington University Law School and Erwin Chemerinsky of USC feel that the ruling's impact on noncustodial parents will be significant. Others believe it will be minimal. Either way, the ruling is a slap in the face to 14 million noncustodial parents.

I urge you to express your opinion on the issue and the column--write to the Chicago Sun-Times regarding "High court deals supreme blow to noncustodial fathers" at [email protected] and to the Los Angeles Daily News regarding "Court hurts kids while it ducks issue" at [email protected]. Feel free to copy me on your letters.

My co-authored column National Fatherhood Initiative's Ad Campaign Insults African-American Fathers was published this week in the Pasadena Star-News &Affiliated Papers (6/14/03) and has been causing some controversy.

National Public Radio's Tavis Smiley picked up on the column and hosted a debate between my co-author, Reginald Brass of My Child Says Daddy, and Roland Warren, the president of the National Fatherhood Initiative, who helped create the billboard campaign. You may recall that Reggie and Roland previously mixed it up on His Side--see National Fatherhood Initiative Attacks Black Fathers (4/25/04). To hear the NPR audio of "Do Fatherhood Initiative Ads Insult Black Men?" click on Tavis Smiley.

To write to Tavis Smiley about the show with Reggie and Roland Warren, write to [email protected]. To write to the Pasadena Star-News & Affiliated Papers re: our NFI piece--titled "It can be hard to be daddy with mommy running interference" in the Star News, click here.

My column Powder Attack on Tony Blair Done in Service of a Just Cause (Cybercast News Service, 5/25/04) was just published in the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star under the title "After the divorce, the pain for noncustodial dads goes on and on." Feel free to express your opinion on the piece to the Star at [email protected].

I was quoted on men's health in a Washington Times piece concerning the National Coalition of Free Men's National Men's Rights Congress in Washington, DC. The article, authored by Brett Freeman, was called A man's rights on Fathers' Day (6/20/04). To learn more about the men's health crisis, see my column When Men's Health Doesn't Count (Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, 10/9/02) (coauthored by Dianna Thompson of the National Family Justice Association). The National Men's Rights Congress last weekend was a big success--thanks to all of the organizers, particularly Tom Golden.

The archive of last night's His Side--Liz Taylor's Son-in-Law Says Taylor, Daughter Kidnapped His Two Year-Old Son--is available--click here and scroll down to "Listen to the Show." We had a rebroadcast show because I was in Washington, DC.

To help support His Side with Glenn Sacks, click here. To get CDs of all previous and future shows, go to the His SideStore. To support the advertisers who support the show, go to His Side Advertisers. To advertise on the show, go to [email protected].

Best Wishes,
Glenn Sacks
Listen to His Side with Glenn Sacks
GlennSacks.com

PS To be removed from this e-list, go to [email protected]

Liz Taylor's Son-in-Law Says Taylor, Daughter
Kidnapped His Two Year-Old Son

Thomas McKeown, Elizabeth Taylor's son-in-law and the estranged husband of Maria Burton, says that Taylor has conspired with his wife to abduct his two year old son and has kept the boy hidden from him. McKeown, who has not seen his little son since October of last year, was booted out of his son's life after his wife got a restraining order against him for alleged emotional abuse.

McKeown, a 49 year-old Wall Street executive, has been arrested twice for violating the order in efforts to "find out where my son was, who was caring for him, and find out about his well-being." According to Taylor's representatives, the boy is being held at an undisclosed location near Taylor's Bel Air mansion in the Los Angeles area. McKeown says he is preparing to file kidnapping charges against the wealthy 72 year-old actress.

Restraining orders based on vague accusations of "emotional abuse" or spurious domestic violence charges are a weapon commonly used by mothers to drive fathers out of their children's lives. Mike McCormick, Executive Director of the American Coalition for Fathers and Children is helping McKeown fight to get his son back. Seattle family law attorney Lisa Scott, the founder of Taking Action Against Bias in the System (TABS), is an expert on the abuse of restraining orders. McKeown, McCormick, and Scott joined Glenn on His Side with Glenn Sacks on Sunday, April 11. To listen to the show archive, click here and scroll down to "Listen to the Show."

To learn more about how restraining orders based on spurious charges of domestic violence are used to separate fathers from their children, see Stephen Baskerville's No Restraint on Restraining Orders (Human Events, 8/5/02) and listen to Father Spends 3 Months in Jail for Returning Phone Call (His Side, 9/7/03) and Heroic Los Angeles Father Risks Jail Rather than Lose His Daughter (His Side, 4/13/03).

To find out more about police and judicial anti-male bias in domestic violence-related matters, see Glenn's column Baseball Player's Domestic Violence Arrest Demonstrates How Men are Presumed Guilty in Domestic Disputes (Los Angeles Daily Journal, San Francisco Daily Journal, 8/8/02).

His Side with Glenn Sacks can be heard on KMPC AM 1540 in Los Angeles at 9 PM PST and on KKOL AM 1300 in Seattle at 11 PM every Sunday evening. To listen live via the Internet from anywhere in the world, go to Listen Live. Both radio and Internet listeners are encouraged to call and participate in the show live and on the air at 1-800-770-1540. All callers will be mailed a free CD of the show in which they appeared at their request.

To help support His Side with Glenn Sacks, click here. To get CDs of all previous and future shows, go to the His Side Store. To support the advertisers who support the show, go to His Side Advertisers. To advertise on the show, go to [email protected].

//www.HisSide.com

"Children learn what they live"