Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 05:43:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Issues

Started by Sanche99, Jul 16, 2007, 11:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanche99

I truly believe it is a very personal decision.  The idea of this vaccine, so new on the market that most insurance companies don't even cover it yet, being mandatory, is quite frightening.  

Some people want their children to have it, and that is fine.  That is their decision.  Personally, we want to wait.  If you go to the VAERS website, you can search their database.  Yes, 3 girls have died after taking it, due to cardiac issues.  Many (over 1600, which is a lot considering how new the vaccine is) have had serious reactions.

cinb85

I know that the reason that you posted your question has kind of gotten lost in all of this, but I am truly glad that you brought the deaths to my attention.  My boss's daughter has already started the vaccine and I was thinking about having my daughter get it in the near future.  Now, I am going to wait and do a little more research.  I already did a little research and saw a article about those 3 girls who have died.  I also read about some of the serious reactions to the vaccine.

My insurance covers this vaccine fully, but as I said, thanks to your post, I plan on doing more research before I have my daughter get the vaccine (if at all).  I applaud you for taking an active role in your DH's daughter's health.  Unfortunately, my dd's father doesn't play any part in our dd's life, so I have to make all of the decisions myself.

Good luck to you!

Sanche99

Thanks so much!  It's sort of frustrating to post a question and have it pretty much ignored so people can flame me about not wanting a particular vaccine.  

Like I said, I don't think any less of peole who chose to have their kids get the vaccine, I just think they should be fully informed.  

There is a TON more to the story (isn't there always?), but yeah, we try to be involved.  DBM (Daughter By Marriage) has been living with us this past school year, but is with her mother over the summer.  Her mom has a long history of doing this stuff behind DH's back, so it's not like this is the first.  It's the first that DH has been so adamantly against, though.

janM

that it is totally HER decision. If she says, I'm not going cause stepmom says I shouldn't, that's not a good thing for anyone.

She should be encouraged to have control over her body and make informed decisions about her health care. That means she should not be swayed by peers, or by any of her parents. Did she see the same reports that you saw?

I hope she does the right thing.

dsm

>
>So a parent who has legal custody can't tell a doctor's office
>anything and expect it to be respected, if the other parent
>takes the child in behind their back?  

Nope.  The same legal custody that allows your DH to request that the vaccine not be given to their daughter is the same that allows the BM to request that it is given.  It is a rock and a hard place.  The clinic is not going to take sides.

I would assume that you could file a petition to make a court order the vaccine to not be given.  However, the chances of it getting heard before BM makes her move is probably slim to none.  You'd do better to just make it abundantly clear to BM your DH's wishes.  And empower your SD to voice her wishes as well.  When her mom says that she wants her to get the shot, your SD pipes up that she is not comfortable with it and does not want it at this stage of her life.  If her doctor is worth anything, he/she will take some time with SD on her own without her mother being there.  Maybe then, there is a chance that she would not have to go through with it.

Good luck!

==============================================================================

dsm - 36; DH - 40; SD - 17; LO - 11; BB - 4
------------------
3 Cheap Entertainment cats - Sam,  Snoop & Dagger
------------------
Live, Love, and Laugh
------------------
dsm - 44
DH - 48
SD - 26
LO - 19
BB - 12
1 demon who provides cheap entertainment of the fluffy and furry kind.

My mantra - it's time for me to do for me and mine so we can live in the present and not fret about the past nor worry about the future.  What is, is

Sherry1

with the kids without the other parties approvals.  You would have to retain a laywer and go to court to stop the shot.

Jade

>I also dont understand why your dh would be against this. DBM
>is probably reacting to what she is hearing.  
>
Because vaccines don't come without risk.  And this one is really new.

I have a daughter and no way is she getting the shot.  She is not a guinea pig.  

Jade

>You are entitled to your opinion on the shot but so is her
>BM. There has to be some positive documentation or they would
>not get approval.

The Rotavirus vaccine got approval.  

And look what happened with that.

Jade

>with the kids without the other parties approvals.  You would
>have to retain a laywer and go to court to stop the shot.

No, that isn't what joint legal means.

Joint legal means that BOTH parents get to give their input without the other having more say over the other.

And if they can't reach an agreement, they need to go to court to settle it.  

But you do need to get approval from both parites on major medical decisions.  And getting a very new vaccine could be considered as falling into that category.

It is too new for them to say conclusively that it works or that it is safe.  

Let's not forget what happened with the Rotavirus vaccine.  Babies DIED because of that "safe" vaccine.

hagatha

On the vaccine subject . . .
I did have cervical cancer that supposidly came from the HPV virus. I went through all the crap that one goes through when those cancer cells are found. I probably would have had a better outcome if I had the regular yearly paps, but I put those off. I eventualy had a radical hystorectomy. (sp)

Given all this I still will tell my daughter that this vaccine should not be given to my grand daughters. That is if this is still available when they are the age recommended for the vaccine.

On the Legal standpoint . . .
You will have to go to court to prevent the mother from taking the child for this vaccine. However, you will have to rely on the Judges understanding of the drug itself. Most Judges will not have the facts you have available to you. So you will have to educate the Judge with solid FACTS and then it will still be a crap shoot. Just because you accurately present the facts doesn't mean the Judge will really listen.

But, knowing the side effects I would petition for a "show cause" hearing to present the information and hope for the best.

Good luck
The Witch

Remember . . . KARMA is a Wonderful Thing!!!!!