Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 04:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Using the same attorney

Started by nicole_80sgirl, Jul 31, 2007, 05:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samson2005

Yes, Illinois has jurisdiction IF you want them to make a decision regarding who has custody and visitation of the children.

Samson2005

Q: Do we have to go to court if we agree on who should have custody?

A: Even if both of you agree on who should have custody, you should get an order from the court on your agreement. An order signed by the judge will protect each parent's rights and will allow a parent to enforce the order. The order should clearly state which parent will have custody, what type of custody was agreed to and the visitation schedule. The parents should present the agreed order to the judge.

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=5005

This tells me that the court does not have power over people in this situation until it is given to them..

mistoffolees

>Q: Do we have to go to court if we agree on who should have
>custody?
>
>A: Even if both of you agree on who should have custody, you
>should get an order from the court on your agreement. An order
>signed by the judge will protect each parent's rights and will
>allow a parent to enforce the order. The order should clearly
>state which parent will have custody, what type of custody was
>agreed to and the visitation schedule. The parents should
>present the agreed order to the judge.
>
>http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=5005
>
>
>This tells me that the court does not have power over people
>in this situation until it is given to them..

That tells me you're reading what you wrote with a blind eye.

It says that if you agree on custody, the court can approve it. But since the court has to approve it, the court has final say.

In fact, it specifically states that you NEED to get the court's approval before custody is binding - which is exactly what I've been saying all along.

There's absolutely nothing in your citation that even hints that you can tell the judge to stay out of your affairs. In fact, it says exactly the opposite.