Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:52:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Employer makes cuts

Started by CDAN99, Sep 27, 2008, 06:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDAN99

Employer has decided to make cuts. I find the cuts highly unacceptable since they amount to substantial pay loss. Boss says take the cut or walk. If I walk, is it considered quitting? I need to know due to things like unemployment benefits and CS. I don't consider walking as quitting if boss makes arbitrarily changes amounting in pay decrease. Does the State view it this way? These cuts make it impossible and impractical to work there anymore. What should I do next? What would happens next time I go to court without a job? Will they consider a job loss due to this as quitting? Thanks.

lucky

I think for purposes of cs & unemployment, it would be considered voluntary quitting.  

Did your boss make these cuts across the board?  Is he trying to cut back, knowing some people will quit, but that way he won't have to pay unemployment like he would if he layed off or fired?

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

CDAN99

He just made cuts on me since I have the most years experience with the company, therefore I have the most benefits to lose.

My view on this matter is that the boss is not offering me my present job anymore because of the pay differential. He is offering me a different job because it pays less but it is for the same work. So I am not quitting but I am also not accepting his new job or offer. Will the State and Court view it the same way cuz this is exactly what it is happening. Do I file a grievance somewhere as well? Thanks.

lucky

I agree with you, however, I don't think the courts or unemployment will agree.  I could be wrong though, but I'd be concerned about taking the chance - unless you can find a comparable job with the pay quickly.

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

hagatha

A simple call to the local unemployment office will tell you if you can collect benifits in this situation. You might be able to make a case since the boss arbutrally (sp) changed the paramiters of your job and your erning potential. You may be able to keep your job abd collect at the same time.

Make the call. At the very least that will give you some direction.

The Witch

Remember . . . KARMA is a Wonderful Thing!!!!!

This is a game of cat and mouse.. to win, you must become the DOG!

CDAN99

Thanks hagatha, I think you are right. Can't hurt to make the call to find out. Thanks again.