Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 07:07:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

HA, this one's a hoot!!!

Started by I cry_ in_the_dark, Jan 11, 2004, 12:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Realist

Our crazy ex does the same thing. She sends the kids in the same clothes every other weekend with instructions not to wash them. So, they are there Saturday until Sunday and they are supposed to wear the same clothes for 2 days?  Even on Christmas day she sent them in the same old sweats.  My SO's son (who is 7) told us that our laundry products give him a rash.  Of course we saw no evidence of that when they were with us for 2 weeks in the summer.

Whatever, I figure its control and a way to belittle their dad.  Our house, our rules, no one wears dirty clothes.

nerd

We had this problem also.  Clothes and toys never came back or new clothes were replaced with old clothes.  So now we simply send them in the clothes they have on and toys stay home.  This has forced the NCP to provide the children with all the necessary items they need while at the NCP.  A dresser of drawers to keep their clothes in, and also keeps them in the frame of mind to know the children's sizes.  And also to provide a place to store their toys that he has had to purchase for them to play with, etc.  

NCPs must be made to realize that it is not our jobs to pack everything they need as if they were going away on vacation!  It is very important that the children have a HOME waiting for them when they arrive with all the things they need.  This shows them that they are a part of that home, are welcome, and that all the things they need have been provided and are waiting for their return.  It is a comfortable feeling to a child.  And in no way should the NCP or CP allow other children in the home to play with, break, rearrange, or remove the possessions that belong to the visiting child, while the child is away, unless that child has given permission.  The visiting child should have a space all their own if possible and trust that all their things will be as they left them.    

It has worked well in our situation because neither parent is burdened with rounding up clothes, last minute laundry, gathering toys, packing, running down the lost toothbrush, etc.  It is a comfortable feeling to know you can just hand over your child and know that their needs are met on the other end.  

But this takes effort on the part of both parents as well as stepparents and will be a learning process, but be patient and hold your ground.  Good luck!

sweetnsad

While it's nice and convenient if the NCP can have extra clothes and toys available for the children when they visit, that doesn't always work...Yes, I agree that it would give the children a sense of security and belonging, it's not always possible to provide this.

When we have my SO's kids, we have to travel two hours with our children to see them....then, we have to stay at his parent's house for that particular weekend...it's the only way we can afford to see them at all.  With all the CS being paid out and our own bills, we can't bring them back to our home and back again...it's too costly.

So, seeing as how we have to stay at his parent's house, we don't have the space to leave clothes and toys for the next visit.  We get the children once a month...what's the sense of keeping toys and clothes for twelve visits a year???   Any new clothes or toys the children receive from us or their grandparents, we send them to their mother so the children can actually get to wear them and play with them...and she sends them clothes and toys, if they want them, for every visit they have with us...it just makes more sense.

So, I clean all the clothes and send them back..end of story...end of hassle.  And yes, I believe it is the CP's responsibility to make sure their children have everything they need for their visitation with their other parent if the need arises...especially in our case.  The same goes for my daughter when she visits her father...he sees her maybe once every two months, so I don't expect him to have anything for her, so I send what she needs.  It makes it alot easier.

Hats off to those NCP's that CAN provide what their children need during their visitation, but it doesn't apply to everyone.

kiddosmom

-----Hats off to those NCP's that CAN provide what their children need during their visitation, but it doesn't apply to everyone.----

I agree that it doesn't apply to everyone, I was commenting on our case.
We paid quite a bit of cs before the custody was changed to us. Yet the bm does not have decent clothes for sd?

If there was an honest need, I would be the first to the store to send clothes/ toys to the bm (even if I do not like her, I love sd)

Our bm gets sd eow, thurs 2 hrs. extended weekends on holidays.
That is enough to make sure she has clothes/toys in the home.

nerd

You're right that it does not apply to everyone.  each situation is different.  It is a 1 hour and 45 min trip one way for us every other weekend and extended holidays.  the family does a lot of shopping in the thrift stores, and luckily have friends and family whose children grow out of clothes and toys about the time another set grow into them.  

It is a focused event every other weekend, it is tiring, and hectic, but when they are here, they are home.  
The NCP provides them with everything that would be in a home.  all cp has to do is show up  at desinated drop off.  We are a mixture of cp, ncp, stepdad and stepmom family.  every child has a place, and every child is provided with all their needs and some of their wants.  

NCP and spouse  pay somewhere close to 900 dollars a month toward child support.  It is hard, and the entire family helps where ever we can.
One child is working on putting together a robot kit he received for christmas.  It sits on his dresser, exactly as he left it, waiting for him to return and work on it. It is the first thing he does when he arrives.  It gives him a pleasant memory  to think about when he is away and something pleasant to look forward to for his return.  
So often the children are pas'ed and it is one way to offset the negative effect of PAS.  it has worked for us.  I hope you find something that will work for you.  Keep faith!

sweetnsad

I was replying to Nerd's comments, not yours...and yes I agree with you...if the NCP has the child for quite a bit of time every week or so, then they should be responsible for their things, especially if the child/children are spending time in the NCP's home.

That doesn't apply to us for several reasons:
1)  The children don't visit us in our home, we have to travel to see them and stay at their grandparent's home.
2)  We only see them once a month, so what's the sense of keeping clothes and toys that they barely get to wear or play with?
3)  We simply cannot afford to buy extra clothes and toys to keep for part time...it's just not in our budget...not with all the money going out in CS and having two other children and one on the way to support.

Like I said, I applaud NCP's that CAN do it...