Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 03:28:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Already thinking of summer school

Started by Ref, Nov 10, 2006, 02:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ref

I am hoping my SD turns her grades around. Knowing her laziness (and she is sooo proud of it) and her mom's non-parenting, I am not holding out much hope. The girl is smart but she doesn't do her homework so her grades are horrible. There is nothing we can do here and BM has all but alienated us and everyone else in her life. Just in case the worst is to happen, I was considering signing her up for summer school this year. She will be going into her Junior year of highschool (if she gets her grades up before then) and I KNOW those are the years colleges look at the most. I am actully thinking signing her up for enrichment classes this summer would be good regardless of her grades.

Anyway, my question is this. SD lives in Fl with her mom, we live in PA. How does signing a kid up for summer school work if the kid goes to another school district. If Florida requires she go to summer school, can she get the classes she needs here?(We have a FAR superior school disctrict).

Thanks
Ref

Sherry1

who lives with us flunked 60% of his classes his Freshman year (when he lived with is mom).  He is now living with us and was forced to re-enroll as a freshmen which he wasn't happy about.  Natural consequences for him not passing his classes.  He is borderline flunking a couple of his classes again this year.  He knows we will not spend $200 per half credit for his not getting his grades up.

I dont' think your SD can go to summer school in your state and have the credits accrued to her school in a different state.  Most states have different credit structures anyway.

Ref

There are 3 reasons.

1. Emotionally I think it would be hurtful for SD to have to repeat.She has aweful self esteem and I think it would make it worse for her to have to be held back.

2 Her grades are bad now because BM is not making sure her homework is done. She has not handed anything in in 2 weeks to her one class. If she was here, we would check every night. She would be able to pass.

3. If she gets held back it will cause DH to pay support for 10 months longer than he is. It is really cost beneficial to pay for th classes during the summer.

I will wait to see this next report card and then maybe make the phone calls to her super to see what we can do.

Thanks
Ref

Sherry1

not PB's?  For high schoolers they really need to take on personal responsibilty.  I can see parents taking responsibility for grade and middle schoolers, but if a high school kid can't seem to turn in her homework, then this person is already setting themselves up to fail in the real world anyway.  

I can see your point about the self esteem issue and having to pay CS for ten months longer, that would really irritate me.  And possibly I have a different view on this because YSS lives with us so I don't have the CS issue to deal with.  If he was living with his mother I might likely feel exactly the same way as you do!  In our case, YSS does not have a self esteem issue, if anything else, he has the opposite problem, he always tells everyone that he is so "hot" which is hilarious because he is 5'9 and only weights 115 pounds.  

I know it is extremely frustrating dealing with a CP who behaves like a moron half the time!

Ref

I completely agree that it is Sd's job to do her work and hand it in, but she has been having these problems since the end of last school year. In my opinion, it is up to the parents to figuratively put a boot up her butt if she is not doing what she needs to do.

BM is her friend. She doesn't parent at all. She allows her to stay up past 2am school nights and allows her to stay at home if SD doesn't feel like going. She has been doing that since SD was in elementary school.

After getting busted smoking pot and drinking (by DH and me) and flunking classes last year, BM thought it would be good to allow her to get her nose pierced instead of waiting until she was 16 as agreed between DH and BM. DH got to be the jerk who punished SD for the grades and tried to teach responsibility and as soon as she got back to her moms she was given gifts.

It is just infuriating. SD will listen if you tell her to do something. She gives some attitude, but she does generally do what you ask. I just don't understand if BM knows SD is messing up, why she wouldn't want to do something about it, for SD's sake.

Anyway, this turned into a vent. Sorry. Thank for letting me blow off some steam.

Ref

Sherry1

Yep, yep and yep.  BTDT.  BM was "best friends" with SD.  SD was having sex at 14 and BM allowed it, her BF was 17, can anyone say statutory rape?  Anyway, that was a long time ago, but it really made me just want to barf everytime BM made her decisions regarding SD and the boys.  YSS committed juvenile felony when he was 12 because BM let him run wild (because she was his best friend too, no parenting involved).  Had to chuckle with that one though, BM was court ordered to pay back $7000 in restitution along with the other kid's parents that were involved.

I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around, I hope your SD comes around and your BM gets hers.  VENT AWAY! :O