Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 10:16:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HIPPA Law

Started by iceclimber, Sep 11, 2008, 06:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceclimber

the OP unilaterally changed dentist offices (we have 50/50).

i have called today to get billing information so that i may make a payment to the account.

they told me that they cannot give me any information until OP gives them consent, because of HIPPA.

she said that since he signed all the paperwork and that my name is not listed anywhere .... all they have is stepmoms name.

is that true?

Ref

Google HIPPA law and search for "parents" or "minors".  It says in there somewhere and I'm paraphrasing that legal parents have the rights to minors records. As long as you are a legal parent and your children are minors, you have every right.

I think SPARC has some sample letters that you can modify and send to the doctor that has the wording in it.

This is a very common problem. Especially for NCPs. DH had to push and push to get any info from the doctors. Some doctors were better than others. I think one ignored his requests and he just dropped it because he got all the other info he needed from another dr.

You have the added benefit of being in driving distance to the Drs office. You can even walk in there and talk to them yourself.

To avoid any issues, bring a copy of your parenting plan or divorce papers that show you are a legal parent. They legally shouldn't have you prove that any more than your ex, but it does speed things up.

Good luck with your drama
Ref

iceclimber

ok.. called them back and spoke with the office manager.

got it worked out. i will be taking in a copy of our order to keep on file and she will be adding my information to the chart.

thanks for your help