Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 08:30:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

defamation/slander???

Started by jmfstl, Nov 28, 2003, 04:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmfstl

I am new here and hope I am posting to the correct place.
I'm an Area Supervisor for a retail company where I live and was previously a Manager in one of the stores for 13 yrs.  Upon becoming an Area Supervisor there was one Manager who had problems with me being promoted into my position.  And I in turn had problems with her job performance from the beginning.  To make things a little shorter this person no longer works for us and has been very vendictive towards myself and the Co. since.  
I have just found out that this person has been making remarks about myself to others in the Co. including remarks about the Co. its self.
One of those remarks is that she is claiming I am a pedophile and have images on my computer depicting young boys.  
This is definately not the truth and now I come to find out that my boss has a statement from a former employee that this former Manager talked to on a regular basis that she told this former employee this.  Now I find that there are two more individuals in our company she has spoken with and told this big lie to.  I have no idea how many others there may be.  
I am wondering if I may have a case here or how to stop this madness as it is definately not true.  

Any information would be appreciated.
                              Thank You

socrateaser

Defamation is the publication to a third party of a false statement of fact that causes you injury. If the statement is about criminal behavior, lothsome disease, sexual promiscuity or business relations, then damages are presumed. Slander is verbal (non-written) defamation.

Your facts suggest that this person has made these statements to more than one person. If the recipients of the false statements are willing to testify to the statements and their contents regarding your being a pedophile and derogatory remarkes about your employer, that would make a prima facie case of slander.

You must ask in writing for a public retraction from the proposed defendant before proceding with a civil action.

:)