Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 01:34:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tax Questions

Started by LizaLou1, Feb 10, 2004, 06:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizaLou1

Dear Soc,

We anticipate the DH's ex will file for an increase in child support in retailation for his filing for joint custody, temporary custody if she gets deployed and a revised visitation schedule.  Thus, we expect she will want our tax return. BTW we are in AL.

1.  Is there any benefit to filing our taxes separately?

2.  If we do file separatley, does it matter who takes the credit for the mortgage interest?  (If he takes the credit the refund is larger and the bulk of it will come from his return.)

3.  If we file joint, can I excise any and all info about me and my child?
 or must the document be complete and unaltered?

4.  Is the tax return really necessary or is the W-2 good enough (there is no other income)?

Thanks.  Your the best.

LizaLou

socrateaser

>1.  Is there any benefit to filing our taxes separately?

If you don't want to disclose all of your separate income and expenses then yes, otherwise not.

>2.  If we do file separatley, does it matter who takes the
>credit for the mortgage interest?  (If he takes the credit the
>refund is larger and the bulk of it will come from his
>return.)

Well, he doesn't deduct his interest, then his after-tax disposible income will be smaller, and so will the cs award.

>3.  If we file joint, can I excise any and all info about me
>and my child?
> or must the document be complete and unaltered?

You may, but the other side can object and demand to see it unaltered, and then you will all have to ask the judge to quash or condition the discovery.

And, I don't know what the judge will say.

>4.  Is the tax return really necessary or is the W-2 good
>enough (there is no other income)?

It's what is asked for in the request for production that determines what must be produced, not what's good enough.

LizaLou1