Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 05:58:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How can I speed things up?

Started by littlebit, Mar 18, 2004, 09:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebit

I met with my attorney January 16th.  We both agreed that timing is very important so that the court can happen during son's 6 week summer with me.  He said there is about 6 month period between filing and court date.

On February 16th attorney filed a motion for contempt of court against BM and filed a motion to modify and change of custody.  He said she would be served February 27th.  I paid for a private server so that we can be sure she will be served when our 10 yr old son is not there.

The serving did not happen on the 27th due to "backlog and local holidays at the courthouse".  Attorney said it would be on March 5th; didn't happen.  Then it would be on March 12th; didn't happen.  Now we're hoping for March 26th.

Attorney says it's out of his hands now, that we are waiting on the court clerks to do thier thing. (?)  And until that happens all we can do is sit and wait.

We've already missed the 6 week window of opportunity when son will be with me.  No one seems to be in any hurry.  Meanwhile, I'm cultivating some furocious ulcers!

I read in another post here about a "calendar clerk" who apparently schedules the court dates.

1) Can my attorney talk to this calendar clerk (or anyone else) about scheduling the court during the summer?

2) Is there someone I can talk to at the court house to speed up the filing and serving process right now?

3) Will it tick-off my attorney if I go around him to speed things up?

4) Is this type of waiting normal, or am I getting the run-around?

Thanks for the help!

socrateaser

>1) Can my attorney talk to this calendar clerk (or anyone
>else) about scheduling the court during the summer?

Different courts have different calendaring procedures. I'm guessing that your attorney is hoping that he can get a date before summer, when some other case is cancelled because it settled in advance of trial.

>2) Is there someone I can talk to at the court house to speed
>up the filing and serving process right now?

Not as long as you have an attorney, no.

>3) Will it tick-off my attorney if I go around him to speed
>things up?

Yes.

>4) Is this type of waiting normal, or am I getting the
>run-around?

Yes, unless you have an emergency, getting a hearing can be a real pain.

socrateaser

>1) Can my attorney talk to this calendar clerk (or anyone
>else) about scheduling the court during the summer?

Different courts have different calendaring procedures. I'm guessing that your attorney is hoping that he can get a date before summer, when some other case is cancelled because it settled in advance of trial.

>2) Is there someone I can talk to at the court house to speed
>up the filing and serving process right now?

Not as long as you have an attorney, no.

>3) Will it tick-off my attorney if I go around him to speed
>things up?

Yes.

>4) Is this type of waiting normal, or am I getting the
>run-around?

Yes, unless you have an emergency, getting a hearing can be a real pain.