Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 11:52:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Need HELP ASAP!

Started by Yowser313, Jul 20, 2004, 10:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yowser313

We have a court date set for tomorrow.  It will be the beginning of trial.  Today we received word that the other parties lawyer has withdrawn from the case.  Does this give them an automatic continuance?

What should we expect when we walk in the door?  Court is at 9 and we are obviously very rattled by this sudden change of events.  We would like to be as prepared as possible.  All parties involved in the case reside in Minnesota.

Please help make sense of this.

There is also one other issue, the other party did not complete the court ordered custody evaluation by a private party.  How will this effect the judges decision?  There was 2 months for it to be done and plenty of time to figure out whether they needed a new lawyer.

I feel they did this just to get the continuance because they are enjoying the temporary order much more than we are.  Is there anything we can do at this point?

Please help!  

Thank you so very much.

Yowser313

I want to be a little more specific.  We are not sure why the lawyer withdrew from the case.  It could have been money, but the other party has assured us time and time again that she paid her retainer.

We think it may be something to do with a conflict of interest: the other party's lawyer represented the mom's (other party) other 2 children's father in custody cases and in both cases took custody away from the mom.  
Now the lawyer has been representing the mom in our case and may have realized that this contradicts everything she did in the other two cases....?

I don't know if this helps at all, just wanted to throw it out there.

socrateaser

You're gonna win. The other attorney told his client to settle or he'd withdraw. She didn't want to settle, so the attorney withdrew. They must have had a hell of a fight.

Yowser313

Thank you so much!  That puts my mind at a little more ease.  I appreciate it!!

wendl

nm

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

Yowser313

We have a court date set for tomorrow.  It will be the beginning of trial.  Today we received word that the other parties lawyer has withdrawn from the case.  Does this give them an automatic continuance?

What should we expect when we walk in the door?  Court is at 9 and we are obviously very rattled by this sudden change of events.  We would like to be as prepared as possible.  All parties involved in the case reside in Minnesota.

Please help make sense of this.

There is also one other issue, the other party did not complete the court ordered custody evaluation by a private party.  How will this effect the judges decision?  There was 2 months for it to be done and plenty of time to figure out whether they needed a new lawyer.

I feel they did this just to get the continuance because they are enjoying the temporary order much more than we are.  Is there anything we can do at this point?

Please help!  

Thank you so very much.

Yowser313

I want to be a little more specific.  We are not sure why the lawyer withdrew from the case.  It could have been money, but the other party has assured us time and time again that she paid her retainer.

We think it may be something to do with a conflict of interest: the other party's lawyer represented the mom's (other party) other 2 children's father in custody cases and in both cases took custody away from the mom.  
Now the lawyer has been representing the mom in our case and may have realized that this contradicts everything she did in the other two cases....?

I don't know if this helps at all, just wanted to throw it out there.

socrateaser

You're gonna win. The other attorney told his client to settle or he'd withdraw. She didn't want to settle, so the attorney withdrew. They must have had a hell of a fight.

Yowser313

Thank you so much!  That puts my mind at a little more ease.  I appreciate it!!

wendl

nm

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**