Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 08:17:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Medical bills: wrong name and address

Started by wawaewife, Aug 21, 2004, 08:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wawaewife

Medical bills are being sent in DH's name to Ex's address. This is to an address DH has never resided in a state he's never been to. Coming from his son's doctors he has never met.

We plan to write to the doctors and tell them to correct their records.

We also want to write to Ex and tell her to stop giving out this false information.

1. Any suggestions for wording of these letters?

2. Is it in any way illegal for her to be giving out this false information?

3. Does anyone have a sample letter for this kind of thing?

4. Is there any realistic reprisal we can threaten her with if she continues?

Thanks for your help

MixedBag

Just a minute -- IF I remember correctly, Dad is military.

Well, we are too (retired though).

Tri-Care and Delta-Dental sends stuff here (Explanation of Benefits) and puts Dad's name on the front with my address.  It's just the way they do business.  

Heck, Step-dad's insurance INSISTS that the pharmacy cards have to be issued in the child's first name and HIS last name -- and that goes over like a lead balloon on my side of the divorce.  

So, I suggest that yes you contact the doctor's offices (dentists, and everyone else you can think of) and provide them with your address and name and stuff.  That's a good idea.

Mom is ultimately responsible for the bills because she brings/brought the child in for care.  Then she uses the divorce decree to get reimbursed by you.  

I strongly suggest that you watch your credit report to make sure that Mom isn't putting down Dad as the financially responsible party (unless the divorce decree says so) -- because that's what DH's EX did and actually that's what just happened to us last week here in our home.

My daughter was taken to the hospital by ambulance and when the stuff started coming to us in the mail, it had step-dad's name all over it.  I called the first place and asked "How did you get HIS name on everything?"  And the lady replied because his insurance is primary.  I said "Well, do you have anything with his signature on it authorizing treatment and ACCEPTING reponsiblity because that's STEP-DAD?  And I apologize, but I'm really sensitive to this subject."  She said "Nope, we assumed that he was."

So that brings me to another point -- workers assume they are doing the right thing and just don't know....so cut them some slack and correct  them at the same time.

Good to see you post again!