Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:00:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Abuse - wait with counseling?

Started by Kent, Sep 23, 2004, 10:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

Dear Soc,

Week-to-week shared physical, I have sole legal custody.
Ex filed false allegations, that didn't fly with the GAL, out-of-court settlement with unchanged custody expected within 2 weeks, or court in October.

Since about 3 months my 8 year old child is reporting that my ex
a) leaves him by himself at a public skate board rink/ramp for more than an hour while she goes shopping,

b) turns her wedding band with the diamond to the inside before she hits him (and his half-brother) until he cries (no marks found though),

c) she and her hubby regularly get into physical fights in front of him.

d) next to a good portion of PAS, she calls him names ("asshole", for example) when she gets upset with him.

However, this is all his words (he's usually very reliable), there is no proof. My son now starts to show aggressive behavior as well, and is obviously upset.

My atty wants to bring this up to the GAL with court (possibly) coming up in October. However, the GAL (neutral so far) has in the past told me that as long as nobody gets hurt, she doesn't want to hear about anything or any allegations, and has ignored previous (less severe) reports from my son.
The GAL also told me that she will look very unfavorable on me putting my son in therapy, which he clearly needs.
OK so far, we can wait until after the settlement / court.

Question:
After court, I want my son in therapy. (IF my son reports same issues to therapist, therapist is required to report to DFACS).
Do I need to inform my ex about the therapy? She will do anything to influence him.

Is it advisable to inform the ex?

What else can I do to bring this to the court's attention, since the GAL is not willing to listen to it?

Thank you so much in advance!

Kent

socrateaser

>Question:
>After court, I want my son in therapy. (IF my son reports same
>issues to therapist, therapist is required to report to
>DFACS).
>Do I need to inform my ex about the therapy? She will do
>anything to influence him.

You have sole legal, so you don't need to tell your ex anything, unless there are specific orders to the contrary.

>Is it advisable to inform the ex?

I don't know your ex. ;-)

>
>What else can I do to bring this to the court's attention,
>since the GAL is not willing to listen to it?

Tell the court in a brief, and orally of your concerns. Tell the judge that the GAL has concerns about therapy for the child, and you don't understand why. Keep your eye on the ball (the kid). The judge can't ignore your good intentions.

InTheMiddle

We had the same situation-----but with an interstate divorce.

I found out that police records are public property.  You can ask for a copy of police records on any address of any state, but not a person.  Police records include 911 calls.  Most of the time it doesn't cost you anything.  The person'a name who lives at the address are in the police records!

I found 50 police reports of domestic and child abuse on the BM.  All were admitted into evidence in the custody hearing---which is amazing!!!

Good Luck!!!

SLYarnell

I asked for a police report on a specific person and was denied.  Would it work to ask for the address of the incident?  I had a case number and everything.  I was told by the sheriff's dept that since I wasnt the criminal or the victim the report wasnt accessible by me.

SLY

socrateaser

>I asked for a police report on a specific person and was
>denied.  Would it work to ask for the address of the incident?
> I had a case number and everything.  I was told by the
>sheriff's dept that since I wasnt the criminal or the victim
>the report wasnt accessible by me.

Subpoena it.