Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 18, 2024, 11:38:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Custody Jurisdiction in NJ..Support Jurisdiction in NY...HELP!

Started by socrateaser, Dec 11, 2004, 11:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPK

Hunterdon County NJ Superior Court in Flemington.

Judge Steven Rubin.

Any horror stories on this guy??

When we had our 1st SOC hearing in NJ (no wife) my attorney asked him to call NY judge about jurisdiction. He replyed "I'll talk to the NY court, but I'm not initiating anything"

I had to call the NY court 5 times today before someone finally confirmed petition was withdrawn. When you leave a message they never call back, very poor communication.

I wonder if male or female judges lean a certain way?  Seems that the NY judge (woman) was in my favor, NJ (man) seems to not be. I can't say for sure on the NJ judge though, I'll have to wait til 12/17 to see how he acts. I've been before him sans wife, I'm curious to see what happens when wife appears....if she even does.

Please don't feel like you're butting in, I welcome any insights.

TPK

socrateaser

>Questions
>
>1. What generally would happen if she doesn't show 12/17 in
>NJ??

Well, if I were representing you, I would ask the court for a judgment granting you sole custody, and assuming that I got it, I would arrange to register the order in NY and then have a NY court order the child placed into protective custody until I could come get the child (which would be immediately).

>
>2. Can an arrest warrant be issued??

Yes, but a civil bench warrant issued from NJ will not get acted on in NY, which is why I just explained how I'd handle that. You could also go to the NJ DA and see if you could develop the necessary complaint to initiate a kidnapping charge against the mother. If you succeeded, then a criminal warrant would issue and NY authorities would go find the mother and arrest her, pending extradition to NJ -- the child, once again, would go into protective custody.

But, convincing the DA would be a stretch.

PS. Please don't respond to this note. Start a brand new thread -- this one's WAY too long now to read comfortably.