Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 10:34:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How does a person go about changing Child Support Orders in NY??

Started by Droogle, Feb 24, 2005, 07:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droogle

A friend went from making $45,300.00 a year down to making $350.00 a week before support or taxes.

He is paying $168.00 a week support for 2 children to the same mother.  He is paying an extra $10. a week toward the arrears that occured while he was out of work.  

By the time everything is out he is bringing home less than 50% of his net pay.  Is there anything he can do to lower the support due to the change in jobs?

All I can find on line is forms to file for support or prove paternity.  Nothing to change an order.

He is not arguing owing the money and isn't fighting what he is paying.  We are just trying to figure out a way to find him enough money to live on.

Thanks for all the information.
I've lost my mind.  I think my kids have it.

joni

He will need to go to the county in New York for the family court of his jurisdiction.  He needs to IMMEDIATELY file for a reduction in child support based on his change in circumstances.  This will set a date for him to ask the court for a reduction and get a refund from the date he files until the date the court decides on the new amount, in order to get an abatement.

He cannot get a reduction without filing.  He cannot get a refund without filing.  The longer he waits, the longer he will have to pay more money.

Droogle

I printed out the finical paperwork so we will go from there.  

Droogle

I printed out the finical paperwork so we will go from there.