Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 11:39:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Question about restraining orders.

Started by whippertizzy, Mar 18, 2005, 12:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippertizzy

Hello Soc,

My Dh's ex somehow got ahold of one of my internet messenger Id's.  I keep blocking her, but she signs up with new names and comes right on back.  She isn't saying anything threatening.  I have asked her to stop contacting me.

I am loathe to change my id entirely.  I have used the same one for years.  I did change my phone number so she could not call me anymore.  I am just fed up.

1. Can I get a r/o based on this?

socrateaser

>Hello Soc,
>
>My Dh's ex somehow got ahold of one of my internet messenger
>Id's.  I keep blocking her, but she signs up with new names
>and comes right on back.  She isn't saying anything
>threatening.  I have asked her to stop contacting me.
>
>I am loathe to change my id entirely.  I have used the same
>one for years.  I did change my phone number so she could not
>call me anymore.  I am just fed up.
>
>1. Can I get a r/o based on this?

You must show that you will suffer irreparable harm to get a restraining order. Your facts suggest that you cannot meet this burden. I suggest that you never respond to any IM, and immediately block. Eventually, the other person will just get bored and go away.

Never feed a troll.

whippertizzy

Thanks, she really isn't harming me.  I am just sick of her trying to talk to me.  Her newest tirade is about how I should be paying dh's share of her and his back taxes. And How she dhould be getting all of the social security money because Dh was dead by the time my son was born and she could not reuqest a paternity test to be sure my son was entitled to a check.

This stuff is getting really really old.  As far as I know she is completely wrong about all the stuff in the paragraph above.  I do not speak to her and immediately ignore her.  I had to change my phone number.....

1. Why isn't this considered harrassment? or is it?

forthekids24

..... you might want to check it out.

I know that AOL and Yahoo both have that setting.

jilly

Don't know if this would do any good or not, but if she persists you could contact the administrators of the IM program you're using.  Read the Terms and Conditions of Use for IM use and/or use of their services too to see what they define as harassment.  Maybe you can get her account yanked :D

socrateaser

>1. Why isn't this considered harrassment? or is it?

Harrassment is a fairly State-specific crime, so I'd need to read the statute for your jurisdiction. If it fits your facts, then you might be able to get a restraining order, but I doubt that a district attorney would be interested, unless you were receiving threats on your life.

MYSONSDAD

They might help you get her IP address and give you some leverage if she keeps up the games.

"Children learn what they live"