Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 05:09:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Calculating Health Ins Premiums

Started by mad_as_hell, Mar 21, 2005, 08:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcsct5

I am not an attorney, but my two sense is this:

Your order says: "Either parent may provide health insurance for the child so
long as it is provided through his or her employer."

This ceverage is not offered through your ex's employer as your ex is not employed. Therefore, in my opinion, you are not obligated to pay half.

While this is my interpretation, morally I don't agree with not paying if it truely cost additional monies to insure your child. But with the insurance I have there was no additional amount to add children beyond the first child. So if I insured 1 child of mine or all 5 children I pay the same.

Good Luck.

mad_as_hell

Thank you all for your responses.  You have all been a great help.  

T and I have no intention of not paying anything for C's health ins premium.  We were concerned because we have three letters from ex in a one year period where she has claimed to "miscalculate" the premium and that T owes more money.  In fact, in that one year time span, she managed to "calculate" the premium from $5.78 per week for T's half to $7.38 per week for T's half  - all without providing any proof.  (No - we did not give her any of the requested increases.  She was sent certified mail requests to provide proof from the ins co. which she has not yet done.)  Ex always complains and says that T doesn't pay enough support even though he pays what the COURT told him to pay.  However, she's putting a pool in this summer and we are curious where the money is coming from since she doesn't work and hubby only works at Home Depot in PA.  (We know he can't be making that much money, not to mention that most of the time he his home so we suspect he only works part time.  And yes, home depot does give you some benefits even if you are only part time.)  Anyway - I am getting off subject.

We were always of the belief that the total premium should be divided by the total number of people on the policy to correctly calculate C's portion of the premium expense.  T has never had a problem with paying money for an expense related to C.  The premium was also calculated this way in the past.  However, ex (in one of her "miscalculation" letters) decided that because it was a family plan (and I quote), "In speaking with other mothers, because I have a family plan it does not matter if there 1 child or 20 children.  Therefore, to be fair, the premium will no be divided by only 4 instead of 6."  

After reading all your replies and speaking with our attorney, she has been sent a certified mail instructing her on what we were advised by our attorney and that if she has a problem with it, to have her attorney contact ours.  At least this way, it will stop the harrassing letters and phone calls.  However, i don't think she will fight it much more - she doesn't want to lose anymore money or she won't be able to put that pool in.

Thank you all again!