Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 06:50:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PAS was involved in shooting

Started by BizyLizy, Sep 02, 2004, 09:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BizyLizy

If you'd like to read all the articles, you can find them at: //www.galvnews.com

If you'd like to send the newspaper a letter, commenting on this tragedy, you can email the newspaper at: [email protected].

The media needs to know that this is a very important issue.

Slain doctor was a 'great guy'

By Carolina Amengual
The Daily News

Published September 01, 2004

GALVESTON — At the University of Texas Medical Branch, colleagues of slain physician Rick Lohstroh are struggling to cope with his death.

"Had he been in a car wreck and got killed, we could accept that because that's part of everyday risks. But for this to happen the way it happened, it was absolutely tragic," said Dr. Russell Miller, an associate professor of surgery.

Lohstroh, 41, a Friendswood resident who worked as an emergency room doctor at the island hospital since 1992, died Friday of multiple gunshot wounds.

His 10-year-old son, a fifth-grader at Windsong Intermediate in the Friendswood Independent School District, remains in juvenile custody while prosecutors consider whether they will file charges.

The boy's name has not been released because he is a minor. A hearing in connection with the shooting was set for Sept. 13.

According to a Harris County Sheriff's Department report, the boy fatally shot his dad Friday afternoon when Lohstroh arrived at his ex-wife's house in Katy to pick him and his 7-year-old brother up.

Deborah Geisler, the children's mother, said she kept the gun locked and unloaded.

Lohstroh and Geisler, who has since remarried, finalized a tumultuous divorce last year that included allegations of physical and sexual abuse of the older son. The pair had joint custody of their children.

Kathleen Collins, his divorce lawyer, said the abuse allegations were not true.

"This is the worst case of parental alienation I've seen in 12 years of practicing law," Collins said. "This custody battle was waged at the lowest level by Deborah Geisler. There isn't a judge I know of who's going to approve and grant joint custody in any situation where the judge believes there's credible evidence of sexual abuse."

Lohstroh's colleagues and acquaintances are as adamant as Collins.

"None of the things he's accused of are true," Miller said, adding Lohstroh loved his children "more than life itself."

When Lohstroh left the home he shared with Geisler in January 2002, he moved into Miller's place for four months.

"We spent a lot of time talking about life and the ordeal he was going through with his wife," Miller said. "He felt like his wife was deliberately trying to put obstacles to prevent him from seeing his children."

Geisler has told the media the children did not want to be with their father. The 10-year-old, she has said, was upset with Lohstroh. He was diagnosed in early August with depression and anxiety and was taking Prozac, she has said.

The boy started with a 10-milligram dose and gradually moved to higher doses.

Chris Tritico, the boy's attorney, has said he would look into the role the antidepressant could have played.

Those who saw Lohstroh interacting with his kids during occasional visits to his office said they appeared to have a healthy relationship.

"They seemed just like happy young men," said Dr. Paul England, associate professor of emergency medicine.

At the hospital, the mood Tuesday was somber. Doctors and nurses have hung a wreath in the lobby of the emergency room in Lohstroh's honor. They've cried for four days, some said.

"He was an outstanding physician and a great guy," England said. "He was always willing to help other colleagues, and he cared deeply about his patients. It's hard to come to work and not see Rick around the corner. There's a huge hole."

Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m. today at the Friendswood Community Church, 2821 W. Parkwood Ave.

+++

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Kitty C.

Read the accompanying article by Heber Taylor and I was PISSED!  So I wrote him this:

Mr. Taylor, you've got it ALL wrong.  This tragedy didn't happen because a child had access to a gun.  This happened because of PAS (Parental Alienation Syndrome).  Why did the mother not run out when she heard the first shot?  Why did she wait until the child came back in to call 911?  Take a CLOSER look at the history of this divorce and I think you will find that the poisoning of the children by their mother against their father is more to blame here than ANYTHING else.

~~~~

At least I said my piece..........

And in another article, the doctor's atty. was quoted:  '"How did the child get the gun?" she asked before Monday's hearing, adding she isn't convinced the child acted alone.

How prophetic...........

How indeed?????
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

nosonew

Yep, this poor kid was probably told by mommie dearest "Too bad someone doesn't just shoot him"  or perhaps she said, "Your dad is going to kill me, you , and your brother.....IF someone doesn't take him out first!"  Either one could do the trick to a kid already on Prozak for depression (hmmmm, wonder why!)  This makes me sick!