Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 01:29:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Protective order or not?...m

Started by Giggles, May 05, 2005, 12:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giggles

Hi Soc,

I had posted earlier regarding my STBX Boyfriend trying to kick my children and I out of the house (post was entitled "Eviction").  The State is Maryland btw.  The verbal 30 days he gave us is up and now he is threatening to change the locks on the house and throw our stuff in the yard.  As we were talking last night he stated "If those were MY kids I would have murdered them by now...I would go to jail, it wouldn't matter because I could kill them...they just don't listen".

1.  Is this enough grounds to get a protective order?
Now I'm living....Just another day in Paradise!!

socrateaser

>1.  Is this enough grounds to get a protective order?

Are you afraid of imminent physical or emotional abuse against yourself or your children? If you are, then you have grounds.

I can't really tell if you are genuinely afraid, and that the situation has really escalated to potentially dangerous, or whether you're trying to make a case that will justify your getting back at your partner for demanding that you leave.

Your partner should be giving you written 30 days notice, and otherwise, staying well clear of you. But, I know how hostile these things can become.

You may want to consider requesting the protective order on the grounds that you have posted (it will probably be granted temporarily  for the next 21-30 days), and that will force your partner to leave the premises. Then, get your stuff together and get out, and then ask the court to drop the order against him and go on with your life.

Giggles

No...I don't feel like the kids and I are in "physical" danger.  Emotional....maybe.  I have a hard time being in that house and around him..the emotional roller coaster is really hard.  One day he's nice and friendly, the next he's critical and harsh.

I did call a "Victims" help line yesterday and explained the situation.  She gave me a few numbers that I could call should I feel threatened at some point.  So...for now I think we'll be fine.

No...he has yet to give any kind of "written" notice, nor is he staying clear of me or the children....we still sleep in the same bed and up until last week, we still had sexual relations.

I have the forms completed and will hold on to them..."Just in case".  I should have my approval for my home loan today and will actively seek out a home over the weekend.

Thanks Soc!! You're such a HUGE help!!!
Now I'm living....Just another day in Paradise!!