Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 03:56:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Discovery

Started by crayiii, May 18, 2005, 08:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crayiii

How do I go about requesting discovery (deposition)?  I contacted a court reporter in Washington that has a location and will attend once things are set up.

Do I send a letter to wife's attorney with the date?

Should I hire an attorney to do the deposition?

Is this even something I should be looking at right now?

socrateaser

>How do I go about requesting discovery (deposition)?

You serve a deposition notice on the other party's attorney. I don't know the specifics of WA civil procedure, but usually, the party gets at least 15 days notice of the time and place for the depo, and it must occur in the county where the case is being heard, or where the deponent lives or is employed.

>Do I send a letter to wife's attorney with the date?

See above.

>
>Should I hire an attorney to do the deposition?

I doubt that any attorney would take just this job, without wanting to handle the entire case.

>
>Is this even something I should be looking at right now?

Well, it goes directly against your stated desire to settle the matter amicably. I would be concentrating on getting time with my child, and pretty much nothing else. The court needs to see that you have a keen interest in your child's welfare, so, at the moment, I think that the depo diverts you from your goal.

joni

You might consider getting yourself a private investigator who could watch the house, document the people coming and going, follow mom, maybe video her abusing drugs/liquor.  Also consider doing a background check on mom or grandparents and see if they have any problems with the law.  You'd have your objective, credible party with that.