Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 03:42:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Legal Guardianship to Grandmother by Custodial Parent

Started by cozicare, May 29, 2005, 12:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cozicare

My husband's son told us he wanted to come live with us.  He lives appx 100 miles away from us. He is 15 years old.  He has since had his "mind" changed.  Now wants to live with G=mother (closer to us) and return to his Mother's home to graduate his senior year.  His Mother has "legal custody", not joint.  If he wants to do this, will it require my husband signing something giving the Ex the ability to give her mother legal guardianship?  

1.  Would he be responsible, if guardianship was give to g=mother, for child support?

2.  We are in Alabama.

Thanks so much .

socrateaser

>1.  Would he be responsible, if guardianship was give to
>g=mother, for child support?

Yes. However, it is not a foregone conclusion that custodial parent can unilaterally grant guardianship to a non-parent. This depends heavily on AL law as well as the current custody orders. And, the court would want to know why the boy aparently prefers the grandparent to either parent.

I suspect that the court would refuse to allow any changes until a GAL or a custody evaluator was appointed. And, by the time you're done paying for the litigation costs, you could probably just as easily have "bribed" the child to come live with you by offering to buy him a new sports car.

Not that I would ever recommend such an unseemly approach...